chlorinating options with a potential shortage

May 30, 2018
Rochester NY
I normally use Austin's Pool Shock from my local BJ's. So far they don't have that in stock. But they do have this...

<link to HTH Super Shock Packets>

With the rumbling of a potential shortage this summer (kinda skeptical) should I buy a box of these just in case there is a shortage and I can't get my hands on enough Austin's? Of course why I liked the liquid is because it was just chlorine with out the additives. I don't see on this box what the "other ingredients" are but it states it won't raise my stabilizer. So aside from extra calcium would this be sufficient to supplement when i have a shortage of Austin's or regular bleach for that matter?

Thanks for any input

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr/Ms Faulkner......can your pool stand the extra calcium these packets will put in the water?? That's the main problem with these.

Remember you can find liquid chlorine at hardware stores, farm and feed type stores, cleaning supply warehouses, etc. I believe the shortage is going to be in granular and puck products primarily, then people will discover liquid chlorine. Many won't think to use "household bleach!?" instead.
I hope you'll have access to all the liquid you'll need, but if you can handle the extra calcium you could use them judiciously.

Have you considered a salt water chlorine generator?

Maddie :flower:

Guy who pressure washes my house was just here this morning with two 55 gal drums of 12.5% on his trailer. Filled them this morning at a nearby pool store. $209/gal. Says he's heard nothing about any shortage.

I've definitely heard rumblings about a shortage. Two people that know I own a pool asked me about what my plans were, though not sure where they are getting their info.
My solution to potential chlorine shortages? Make my own chlorine 😜. Seriously though, SWG. Rarely have to add chlorine, and could just add run time if I absolutely couldn't get my hands on any bleach.

I think I might buy some cal hypo at costco as a backup. With my already-hard water, I know It will speed up my timeline for needing to replace water but if a shortage truly sets in, it's better than having a green pool we can't use.

A little late here, but.....I've not heard anything about a shortage of LC. The problem is with dry chlorine, because one of the two plants in the US burned down. In California, I haven't had any trouble at all getting LC. It's everywhere. Even the pool store said I can buy as much as I want, whereas they are severely limiting sales of the dry stuff. And, as others have mentioned, the dry stuff adds junk to your water that you may not want to deal with later. I just had to drain and refill due to high CYA levels, which led to black and green algae, caused by long-term use of dry shock and pucks by the previous owner. Not fun! I'm sold on LC (or household bleach) forever now.

As for cal-hypo, I just don't see the point, esp when there's plenty of LC in various concentrations. I'm still learning, but aside from the fact that it adds calcium (I am already trying to fight scaling, so that's out for me) there are plenty of other issues I've learned about....

etc.

I am in NE AL, I cannot find any chlorine, liquid, bleach, nothing, all stores are sold out, online search shows none anywhere as far as VA.
No tablets, no pool chemicals of any kind at hardware, walmart, feed stores, nothing.
Whats the alternative?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.