Chlorease

lebaige

Active member
May 19, 2007
32
Does anyone have any experience with the Chlorease above ground chlorine generators? They seem to be available for around two hundred dollars. I'm curious how effective they are. I do know from reading the manual they need to be cleaned monthly. A salt water pool sounds attractive for a number of reasons but I can't find anybody but Chlorease making SWCG for above ground pools, and I'm somewhat skeptical of the device based on it's low price and not knowing anything about the manufacturer.
 
G

Guest

Goldline makes the AquaTrol units for above ground pools. They cost a bit more than the Chlorese but they are real, self cleaning SWGs!
 
G

Guest

Smartpool distributes the Chlorease and I know that many people have had problems with their warranty service on the Dolphin pool cleaners that they distribute. I would be careful. There are two models of Chlorese for above ground pools and one for inground. I know the original model was not self cleaning and I don't know if the other two are. Also since the above ground one is passive and the water is not forced through it I would wonder how efficient it is. Goldline has been producing SWGs for over 12 years now and they have 4 models of the AquaTrol (2 straight plug and 2 twist lock plug) that will control your pool pump and have 2 different cell mounting arrangements. Either plumbed inline with pvc or flexible tubing or attached to the return of the pool. They might cost a bit more but you have a lot of experience behind them and also the great support of Goldline, which is a Hayward subsidiary
Also, the pool pilot cubby is another unit that can be used in above ground pools, although not specifically made for them.
 

amieelynne

Active member
Jun 5, 2007
33
Massachusetts
I'm curious too..if anyone has more info about these. I'm reading up on SWG's but have pretty much ruled one out for at least this year because of the cost. $200 is cheap so I am skeptical but with $1200+ price tags on traditional SWG they are more than just a bit more expensive and out of my reach for now.
 

NWMNMom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2007
1,582
Waaay NW MN
I think the cheapest I saw one (Aquatrol or PP, not sure which one) was around $770 or so. Kind of cha-ching. But, I think I remember somewhere that the Chlorease replacement cells cost almost as much as the unit themselves. Might be wrong, but it sticks in my head.....
 

amieelynne

Active member
Jun 5, 2007
33
Massachusetts
even if the cells were $200...that's not sounding too bad when you think about it--$200 for startup, $200 in a couple years vs. $800 (min) startup and $200-300 in a couple years. I mean, either way you have to replace cell in SWG right? I was reading the manual though--it calls for 3500-4000 ppm salt, states very loudly to NEVER let salt level fall below 2500...that sounds like alot to me. I was under the impression that most SWG call for around 3000 ppm, no?

NWMNMom said:
I think the cheapest I saw one (Aquatrol or PP, not sure which one) was around $770 or so. Kind of cha-ching. But, I think I remember somewhere that the Chlorease replacement cells cost almost as much as the unit themselves. Might be wrong, but it sticks in my head.....
 

JoshU

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 24, 2007
546
New Orleans, LA
amieelynne said:
even if the cells were $200...that's not sounding too bad when you think about it--$200 for startup, $200 in a couple years vs. $800 (min) startup and $200-300 in a couple years. I mean, either way you have to replace cell in SWG right?
From what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong) the entire unit is replaced, not just the cell. I've never seen a part # for just the cell. Also, I don't believe it has a very long cell life as it only carries a 1 year warranty.


aimeelynne said:
I was reading the manual though--it calls for 3500-4000 ppm salt, states very loudly to NEVER let salt level fall below 2500...that sounds like alot to me. I was under the impression that most SWG call for around 3000 ppm, no?
Most domestic salt systems need 3000-3500 ppm of salt. However some imports need as much as 6000 ppm (way too high). You don't want to go higher than 3500 ppm.
 

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
1,335
Middle Tennessee
In the FWIW column, I've got a ChlorEase CL02. The only difference between the CL01 and the CL02 is the CL02 has a controller that displays the generating efficiency of the cell, has LED indicators for the salt level in the water, and has a one-setting timer. It isn't self-cleaning.

I've been using it for about a month now, and so far it's been OK. I placed it the next panel over from the returns, so the returns circulate water through it. I haven't had to clean it yet. I've got the timer set for 12 hours on, 12 hours off at the moment, but still playing with the timing a bit to keep my FC where it needs to be.

Is it as good as an Aquatrol?? Of course not. But I figured for the price, it was worth a shot.
 

NWMNMom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2007
1,582
Waaay NW MN
I would love to know more about this. Keep us updated on how it works - first hand knowledge is always better than anything on items. Thanks!

Edit: I just did a bit of research and found that they actually make 3 models. The 03 model is for both IG and AG pools and is installed inline like other models. It is self cleaning and has the timers, etc. The cost was around $599 at one place - I have seen the 01 model (plain no controls) that hangs over the side for around $149, the controlled over the wall (02) round $279. Replacement cells for the over the wall models were foun for $49.99 - the over the walls carry a 3 yr warranty.
 

amieelynne

Active member
Jun 5, 2007
33
Massachusetts
Mike,

are you having trouble with it not producing enough fc or too much? I'm looking at this for a 27' round and wonder if it's powerful enough so Im curious. also, did you change it over to a 110 from 220v and just connect it to your existing gfci or did you have a new line run? only a month into it, so this is a long shot but have you noticed a huge jump in electricity use running this and your filter? what about bonding it? oh, and with the high ppm recommended to you find a noticably salty taste to your water? I know, tons of questions but you're one of the few out there with first hand knowledge of this product so you're now the go-to guy :wink: thanks for sharing that info with all of us

MikeInTN said:
In the FWIW column, I've got a ChlorEase CL02. The only difference between the CL01 and the CL02 is the CL02 has a controller that displays the generating efficiency of the cell, has LED indicators for the salt level in the water, and has a one-setting timer. It isn't self-cleaning.

I've been using it for about a month now, and so far it's been OK. I placed it the next panel over from the returns, so the returns circulate water through it. I haven't had to clean it yet. I've got the timer set for 12 hours on, 12 hours off at the moment, but still playing with the timing a bit to keep my FC where it needs to be.

Is it as good as an Aquatrol?? Of course not. But I figured for the price, it was worth a shot.
 

NWMNMom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2007
1,582
Waaay NW MN
I did a little review over at PF and saw that there were a few with these last year. The one I saw that did have issues was one person who had very high Alk and Calcium levels in her pool, it would cake up on the cell and required more frequent cleaning.

The Chlorease (SmartPool) website notes that this comes in 110v and that it will control up to 18000 gals. The one Mike has is the one with the controls on it to regulate how long/how much chlorine is generated.
 

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
1,335
Middle Tennessee
NWMNMom said:
I would love to know more about this. Keep us updated on how it works - first hand knowledge is always better than anything on items. Thanks!

Edit: I just did a bit of research and found that they actually make 3 models. The 03 model is for both IG and AG pools and is installed inline like other models. It is self cleaning and has the timers, etc. The cost was around $599 at one place - I have seen the 01 model (plain no controls) that hangs over the side for around $149, the controlled over the wall (02) round $279. Replacement cells for the over the wall models were foun for $49.99 - the over the walls carry a 3 yr warranty.
I'll be more than happy to keep you updated. :) Best deal I found on the CL02 was at swimmingpoolsetc.com . I gave $173 for it there.
 

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
1,335
Middle Tennessee
amieelynne said:
Mike,

are you having trouble with it not producing enough fc or too much? I'm looking at this for a 27' round and wonder if it's powerful enough so Im curious. also, did you change it over to a 110 from 220v and just connect it to your existing gfci or did you have a new line run? only a month into it, so this is a long shot but have you noticed a huge jump in electricity use running this and your filter? what about bonding it? oh, and with the high ppm recommended to you find a noticably salty taste to your water? I know, tons of questions but you're one of the few out there with first hand knowledge of this product so you're now the go-to guy :wink: thanks for sharing that info with all of us
Right now I'm trying to get it adjusted. I may crank it back up to 23 hours on, one off, and see just how much FC it'll produce. As soon as I get some reliable data, I'll be happy to share with all. As NWMNMom pointed out, it's supposed to be able to produce enough chlorine for up to 180000 gallons, so it should be able to handle your pool, and also as mom pointed out, it's tranformer is powered by 110V, so I plugged it into my existing GFCI. I don't think I'll notice a real big jump on the electric bill from using it. I've got an electrical load meter that I use to see what my electrical loads are like for different things, and the Chlorease only pulls about half an amp, which would be 50 watts. Compare that to the 15 amps that my 2hp behemoth pump pulls, and that's a drop in the ol' electric bill ocean ( I've got a 1hp pump on the way!). No need to bond it. I've got my salt level at around 3800 ppm, and yes, I can taste it, but it's not strong.

One thing I didn't like about it when I installed it was the short length of the cable from the controller to the transformer. That cable is only 3 - 4' long, so you have to mount them in fairly close proximity to one another. The cable from the transformer to the outlet isn't much longer, either. Thankfully, the cable from the controller to the cell is fairly long.

I'll be glad to answer any and all questions I can.:) Whooohooo!! I'm kind of the go-to guy at work, too!
 

Rangeball

Well-known member
May 25, 2007
785
Mike, Thanks for the info on where you bought it. My dad wants me to order one of these for him, and he's settled on the CL01, as we determined it could be hooked into his existing timer. However, the price you stated is only $15 or so more than the CLO1, so why not get all the "bells and whistles" plus the 3 year warranty, right? :)

If you adjust your unit to 23 hours on, will you run your pump this long too?
 

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
1,335
Middle Tennessee
Rangeball said:
Mike, Thanks for the info on where you bought it. My dad wants me to order one of these for him, and he's settled on the CL01, as we determined it could be hooked into his existing timer. However, the price you stated is only $15 or so more than the CLO1, so why not get all the "bells and whistles" plus the 3 year warranty, right? :)
You're more than welcome! Yep, that was my thinking exactly. For $15 more, why not get all the bells and whistles?

Rangeball said:
If you adjust your unit to 23 hours on, will you run your pump this long too?
No. The control unit for the CL02 is completely separate from the pump. All it will control is the ChlorEase cell.
 

Rangeball

Well-known member
May 25, 2007
785
MikeInTN said:
Rangeball said:
If you adjust your unit to 23 hours on, will you run your pump this long too?
No. The control unit for the CL02 is completely separate from the pump. All it will control is the ChlorEase cell.
Mike, I understand... What I meant was will you run your pump to cirulate the water while the chlorease is generating or turn the pump off?

:)
 

Similar threads