Chemistry in cold water

Settleces

Aug 23, 2019
Hamilton, ontario
I need help!! Our pool guy highly encouraged us to open the pool 4-5 weeks early because we don’t know which “essential” services will keep getting cut from the list.

So the pool is open today purring like a kitten, water was crystal clear and gorgeous with very little junk on the bottom. However we see zero reason to fire up the heater until around May 1st but how does “44 degrees F” affect chemistry! We are not using our SWG until we get the water higher than 65 degrees of course so what do we need to do to maintain for a couple weeks of really cold temperatures.

How does chlorine react at low temperatures. Does it evaporate quick? When measuring PH is the number accurate at low temps?

Taylor Technologies has run the pH, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, free chlorine, and cyanuric acid tests on known standard solutions at approximately 104°F, 75°F, 60°F, and 40°F. Only at 40°F did the CYA standard solution test higher than its actual value (after accounting for test variability). All other tests were unaffected by temperature differences.

If the water temperature is below 70F degrees let the water warm up inside before you do the CYA test.

The standard instructions to mix for 30 seconds is not enough time when the water is cold. You can either mix longer, or allow the sample to warm up to room temperature. Best solution is to allow the the sample to warm up first and then shake it for 30 seconds

Reactions: Settleces
No issues. Multiple days below 0C could be an issue for above ground equipment. I would assume your VS pump has freeze protection on it.

The water chemistry could care less how cold it is, until the water is frozen.

Reactions: Settleces
No issues. Multiple days below 0C could be an issue for above ground equipment. I would assume your VS pump has freeze protection on it.

The water chemistry could care less how cold it is, until the water is frozen.

We are in that awkward phase where nights drop slightly below freezing but the days are higher. I’m hoping my equipment will be alright. Thanks for the info!

Taylor Technologies has run the pH, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, free chlorine, and cyanuric acid tests on known standard solutions at approximately 104°F, 75°F, 60°F, and 40°F. Only at 40°F did the CYA standard solution test higher than its actual value (after accounting for test variability). All other tests were unaffected by temperature differences.

If the water temperature is below 70F degrees let the water warm up inside before you do the CYA test.

The standard instructions to mix for 30 seconds is not enough time when the water is cold. You can either mix longer, or allow the sample to warm up to room temperature. Best solution is to allow the the sample to warm up first and then shake it for 30 seconds

This is exactly the info I was wondering! Now I know the chemistry is the same hot or cold. How do these chemicals react over the course of a few days. Example will I need less chlorine top-ups in the colder the water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.