Chemicals seem to have no effect

my muriatic says it's 31.45%. Pool Math shows that as 20 degrees Baume? just found this: Muriatic acid Is a 20° Baume (31.45%) hydrochloric acid solution used for cleaning and preparing concrete prior to etching, coating and sealing. Muriatic acid can also be used to lower the pH in pools and spas.

so with 90 for TA, I get that I should add 9.4 oz
So a tad less than a 12oz coke can.

Good Morning!! Sock still about 1/4 full.
Block test for Cl is about 1ppm
PH is 7.7
ADD 51 oz liquid chlorine?
Dont use the block test for Chlorine. Use the FAS-DPD powder. Then you’ll know exactly what the chlorine level is. 😉

Dont use the block test for Chlorine. Use the FAS-DPD powder. Then you’ll know exactly what the chlorine level is. 😉
Ok FC is 2.5
No CC so TC is 2.5
I just added that 51 ounces of chlorine so I will check again in an hour and repost. Is that normal to have CC be the same as the FC?

Remember, TC is meaningless. That is a pool store term.
Your CC is 0. Great. No need to test for that parameter unless you are ending a SLAM process.
Keep you FC in the target range for your expected CYA level at all times.

Remember, TC is meaningless. That is a pool store term.
Your CC is 0. Great. No need to test for that parameter unless you are ending a SLAM process.
Keep you FC in the target range for your expected CYA level at all times.
OK. Thank you! So how often should I test for the FC and adjust? Am I still aiming for 5ppm (for awhile).

Also, we bought a bag of shock for when we emptied the pool and didn't use it. It is Trichloro-s-triazinetrione (67%). Will I be using that in the near future for anything. $16 :/ and I can trade in for liquid chlorine LOL

You should test your FC every day until you understand your pool water chemistry and how it acts. Try to do it at the same time each day.

If you need CYA, then use the trichlor for your chlorine needs. But watch your pH, as that product is acidic.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should test your FC every day until you understand your pool water chemistry and how it acts. Try to do it at the same time each day.

If you need CYA, then use the trichlor for your chlorine needs. But watch your pH, as that product is acidic.
Am I shooting for 3ppm or 5ppm FC, right now?
I think we'll just trade it in for more liquid chlorine. Seems like a far-off need AND I have next month's water bill to plan for LOL

Last edited:
Am I shooting for 3ppm or 5ppm FC, right now?
5. Just until the CYA registers. Then you'll shoot for regular target range. Right now we just don't want algae moving in after the fresh fill.

lc_chart.jpg

We will Overnight Chlorine Loss Test for good measure once the CYA registers and the FC holds.

I think we'll just trade it in for more liquid chlorine. Seems like a far-off need AND I have next month's water bill to plan for LOL
Yeah. FC is always king. If you have CYA in there and the FC holds, staying free and clear above minimum at the lowest point of the day, then we have time to fiddle with anything else. You won't be gifted a swamp in the meantime while we sort those things out.

Reactions: CarefreeTee
OK! CYA is (just) fully dissolved. FC = 1 per drop test. I have not done CYA yet. I figured tomorrow AM when it would be fully mixed in pool. Should I add another 51oz for 5ppm now? OR 26oz for 3ppm? It is dusk here and it just rained for awhile so it's a cool 53 degrees.

Good Morning!
CYA is about 28
I had a tough time reading this. I swear I could still see very faint dot at bottom.

TA 90
FC 2.5
PH 7.8

Using 28 for CYA, add 19 oz Chlorine?

Round up when measuring CYA. Better yet fill the test vial to decade levels (30, 40, etc) then glance for the dot.

Was 30 CYA your goal level?
Target the top of your FC range. So 6 ppm. Starting at 2.5, you need to add about 45oz of 10% LC.

Round up when measuring CYA. Better yet fill the test vial to decade levels (30, 40, etc) then glance for the dot.

Was 30 CYA your goal level?
Target the top of your FC range. So 6 ppm. Starting at 2.5, you need to add about 45oz of 10% LC.
Yes. 30.
What about the very very faint dot. I thought it would just completely be gone.

When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is a non linear scale. So it is not reasonable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support