Chemical Shortage Headache

Em0Abstracts

Jun 5, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
Well, not sure if anyone else has ran into this issue but I’m experiencing a chemical shortage at my supply shop that has now caused a headache for me.

My pool was opened last week (Monday 5/17) and after doing some initial water tests with my test kit, found out I had CYA of 2 and FC of 0.3. Unfortunately, while my supply shop has plenty of chlorine, they’ve had no stabilizer (liquid or powder). I had them order me a few gallons of liquid stabilizer but I’ve now waited over a week with no delivery. Luckily, the stuff finally came this afternoon. The bad news: only 2 of the 4 gallons that I ordered showed up and starting today my water has begun to turn cloudy.

I’ve added the two full gallons of liquid CYA directly into my skimmer, which according to Pool Math should get me to just at 30 ppm and started adding chlorine, but now I have to wait and try to figure out what else is turning my water cloudy.

According to my last test (before adding CYA and chlorine) was:

pH: 7.9
TA: 191
CH: 170
FC: 0.3
TC: 0.4
CYA: 2

before doing anything, I started by adding 4 ounces of muriatic acid per Pool Math suggestion.

How did you get "2" for a CYA reading? Did you check Lowes, Walmart or HomeDepot for granular CYA? They usually stock it.

Go ahead and take your water up to SLAM level (which 30ppm CYA is perfect for) and start SLAMMIN'! Hopefully with some CYA in the water your chlorine will now hold long enough to work on the water. It may be a short SLAM process.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Em0Abstracts
I got 2 because when I did my test with my test kit it yielded basically 0 so I used my digital reader in my laptop to do a secondary test and it read CYA of 2.

Your advice is directly in line with that I did. After adding CYA I started adding slam levels of chlorine based on pool math recommendations.

Reactions: BassPlayingDude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.