Chemical Balance - after refilling pool

Hairston

Sep 28, 2019
Plano, Texas
I had my pool drained and refilled two weeks ago. The contractor is supposed to be balancing my chemicals, but how long should that take? He is supposed to return tomorrow. Here are my current readings: FC 3.0; TA 120; CYA 30; pH 7.5; CH 300

The PoolMath app says TA is outside the rec. range, which I understand. It also says pH, CYA, and CH are outside the ideal range.

Should I try to get the CYA to 40? Should I add acid to lower my TA, but won't that will also lower already low pH

I am about ready to take over from the contractor. Not sure how to proceed from here.

25,300 gal, IG Plaster, Pebble Finish, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump Running at 2600 RPM, 60 sqft DE filter, Dolphin Sigma cleaning robot, TF-100 Test Kit, Dallas, Tx

Welcome to TFP.

CYA 30 is fine. CYA 40 can be a bit better for Texas sun.

TA 120 is fine for the moment. See how your pH rises and as you lower your pH you will lower your TA.

pH of 7.5 is fine. pH anywhere in the 7's is ok.

CH 300 is ok for now. Your CH will rise over time with evaporation and fill water. Start it on the low end and you will not have to deal with high CH for a longer time.

How do you chlorinate your pool? Add some liquid chlorine and get your FC up around 6. See FC/CYA Levels

I got nothing to add to what Allen said, other than welcome neighbor and you would be one of the rare members to actually have a TF100 before their first post!

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I look at your numbers and all I see is low CYA. The FC is marginal, but I figure you'll be adding more anyway. TA is on the high side, but it's a fresh fill and TA will naturally go down as you maintain pH. It's too early in the season to worry.

Don't micromanage. It'll drive you crazy and you'll end up on a savage rollercoaster where you'll be tweaking ph and driving TA too low, or adding CH now and in a month be worrying that it's climbing too high because of evaporation. Keep adequate FC for your CYA and keep the pH is the swim comfort zone. The rest is minor details.

Ahhh. :):) Thank you! And I'm red/green color challenged, so my wife has to help me with the test kit. I am planning on using liquid chlorine once I figure out how much to buy (There is a new Pinch-a-Penny store in town).

Thanks for the advice. I think I will have the pool guy add a little more stabilizer and liquid chlorine tomorrow, and then I will take it from there.

BTW, is there a way to include my test results in a message directly from the PoolMath app?

I think I will have the pool guy add a little more stabilizer and liquid chlorine tomorrow
I think I would tell them, "Never mind."

On it's face, irt seems to be great to get free chemistry but you are risking that the pool guy badly overdoses and you are left stuck with the cleanup.

You have already started to manage your own pool......the pool guy doesn't care a hill of beans about your balance and he may talk you into something you do not want.

While not everyday, I can remember maybe a 30-50 or so posts where "pool guy" screwed up the balance rather than help it.

I am planning on using liquid chlorine once I figure out how much to buy (There is a new Pinch-a-Penny store in town).

FYI - Every Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot around us has all the liquid chlorine you would ever need, along with 99% of the other stuff too.

Well, it has been a month since a drain and refill. Here are today's test results: FC 2.0; pH 7.4; TA 110; CH 275; CYA 40
I have to add chlorine every couple of days, like I did today. I am thinking of bringing CYA up to 45 to perhaps slow chlorine use. TA continues to be too high and CH is too low. I have some leftover chlorine tablets. Is it okay to use them up to raise FC and CYA to about 45? Should I now try to bring CH up and TA down? I have to say that at the rate I am using liquid chlorine the cost will surpass what I use to pay for the chlorine tablets (I understand the CYA issue). Once the chemicals are well balanced should my chlorine use slow down?

You do realize you need to replenish your chlorine every day during swim season, right? You can increase your CYA some if you like, but you still need to add liquid chlorine every day to raise your FC to target level for your CYA. Your FC shown above is way too low.
Do not worry about TA or CH. Both are fine. Keep pH in the 7's and all is good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.