Chemical additions through the skimmer

The recommendations on this forum is to not poor pool chemicals into the skimmer. I've read the reason being if you poor chlorine/bleach in the skimmer you are dosing your pool equipment with a high dosage of chlorinated water, which isn't good. Same reason you install a SWCG behind all your pool equipment. I'm sure a TFP expert could elaborate on this though.
Understood and have abandoned that practice thanks to member of TFP like you. The exploded sand filter was the topper.(y)

Also, unless you live in a pool store, it’s quicker to run the tests in the kit than bring it in anyhow. Maybe 5 mins to run them all, and usually you’re just testing FC and pH once you’re dialed in.
Acknowledged and am committed to get to the kit eventually. Go figure, I can read through a pilots operating manual for an unfamiliar aircraft in a hour or so, with full comprehension.

The manual and myriad of chemicals in this chemistry set, are quite daunting to my limited interests in the finer points of water management. No doubt that this dislike renders comprehension a bigger challenge. Your suggestion of testing free chlorine and ph sounds like a good starting point for a reluctant chemistry student. Thank you

but complete with some numbers to check against that accursed chemistry set (once I get to it).
Much like it is for that complicated test kit purchased in February, I'll get to it in time.
It’s really not anywhere near as bad as you’re imagining it to be. I hated chemistry in college. This kit isn’t that, it’s counting drops. A SpeedStir makes it faster.

Here is a video I took of me testing the FC/CC on my hot tub.

Reactions: Syrr
An acquaintance compared my pool water to local area tap water in his lab at our Agricenter. He offered to specifically test both samples for the presences of Cyanuric Acid among other dissolved solids. So to be accurate; he gave me the CYA number of 26.

Of course I consult as many sources of information as I can find in this quest. Still; the water in my swimming pool is cleaner than every lake, river or section of ocean that I've experienced over the last 69 years.

Since it came with the house, a clean and clear swimming pool was my only goal from the beginning. This remains so today. Much of the information received here has been useful in achieving my goal. I now intend only to maintain my clean and clear swimming pool.

Hopefully through reading more advice and other lessons-learned, I can avoid "making things worse" by tinkering with that which currently satisfies my needs.
One of the biggest problems with pools is they can take a lot of bad chemicals before showing up any signs of problems and once they do usually nothing short of a drain/refill will help.

TFPC is a method that works in the long run without forcing you to eventually drain/refill your pool. This forum is a golden mine of knowledge and if you are planning to deviate from TFPC then you should fully understand what are the consequences and how to deal with them.

Marty (and others here) know their stuff and are more than willing to help. Sometimes feels like Marty has more fun helping people than using his pool, so help him to have his fun helping you ;).

Advice based on bad data is bad advice and that you won’t receive here. For a beginner the full test takes about 10-15min and FC test less than 5min, but with enough practice you won’t take more than 5min for all testing. In the time you took to read this post you could have tested FC, CC, ph and CYA.

BTW, if you are having hard time understanding/following the instructions on TF-100 (or on the Taylor K-2006C) checkout the quick reference @mguzzy made. I use it and helps me a lot on TA and CH testing (the ones I seldom do).

It’s really not anywhere near as bad as you’re imagining it to be. I hated chemistry in college. This kit isn’t that, it’s counting drops. A SpeedStir makes it faster.

I second this, OP. I can't offer any advice on the pool chemistry bc I have only had my pool for a couple weeks. But I can relate to your chemistry reluctance.

Math has always been my nemesis and has resulted in a life long math avoidance. Thankfully, the ABC's of pool care, explaining the concepts behind the chemistry are in words, not numbers. And with careful reading (sometimes twice) I am beginning to learn my way around and it is FABULOUS.

You dont need to memorize anything bc the info is always there to refer to, but you do end up remembering it. There are no complicated formulas to work out bc the pool calculator does it for you and it is very empowering to have so much control over the minutest details of your water chemistry. I was so surprised to find that I love it!

I understand your "if it's not broke, dont fix it" attitude, although in this situation I believe knowledge is power.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for as long as it continues. I'm curious to see how things go. Best of luck to you! :)

Thank you for that sir. I'll take all the help I can find. From where did you get the Speed stir?

I second this, OP. I can't offer any advice on the pool chemistry bc I have only had my pool for a couple weeks. But I can relate to your chemistry reluctance.

Math has always been my nemesis and has resulted in a life long math avoidance. Thankfully, the ABC's of pool care, explaining the concepts behind the chemistry are in words, not numbers. And with careful reading (sometimes twice) I am beginning to learn my way around and it is FABULOUS.

You dont need to memorize anything bc the info is always there to refer to, but you do end up remembering it. There are no complicated formulas to work out bc the pool calculator does it for you and it is very empowering to have so much control over the minutest details of your water chemistry. I was so surprised to find that I love it!

I understand your "if it's not broke, dont fix it" attitude, although in this situation I believe knowledge is power.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for as long as it continues. I'm curious to see how things go. Best of luck to you! :)
Thank you so much.

Reactions: Wendy3tkl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of the biggest problems with pools is they can take a lot of bad chemicals before showing up any signs of problems and once they do usually nothing short of a drain/refill will help.

TFPC is a method that works in the long run without forcing you to eventually drain/refill your pool. This forum is a golden mine of knowledge and if you are planning to deviate from TFPC then you should fully understand what are the consequences and how to deal with them.

Marty (and others here) know their stuff and are more than willing to help. Sometimes feels like Marty has more fun helping people than using his pool, so help him to have his fun helping you ;).

Advice based on bad data is bad advice and that you won’t receive here. For a beginner the full test takes about 10-15min and FC test less than 5min, but with enough practice you won’t take more than 5min for all testing. In the time you took to read this post you could have tested FC, CC, ph and CYA.
Thank you.

Reactions: Syrr and jseyfert3
Reactions: CTFocusST
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.