Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

FC - 3.4
CC - 0.0
pH - 7.5
TA - 90
CH - 260
CYA - 35

Inground, vinyl pool, 24,500 gallons, sand filter.

This is my first year with a pool, and our pool store is trying to sell me a BioGuard winterizing kit (amazon listing). It has dichlor shock (with clarifiers, buffers, flocculants, etc) and a copper based algaecide.

I'm very hesitant to go away from the pool school closing recommendations. Specifically, using a chelated copper vs the recommended PolyQuat algaecide. The pool store suggests that the chelated copper will last longer, and is better for long Wisconsin winters (7-8 months closed). The pool store also swears that the copper will not stain because it is chelated.

Will this copper algaecide stain even though it is chelated? Am I correct in assuming this BioGuard winterizing kit is unnecessary? Or are long Wisconsin winters bad enough that this type of product is useful?

Thanks!

Cory

What's your current water temperature? I don't close my pool here, so take this with a grain of salt, but the recommendation here is whenever possible, delay closing until the water temperature is below 60 degrees F, and open it again before the water gets above 60. Algae does not grow much if at all in water that cold, so which algaecide wouldn't matter much.

Agreed. Once that water is frozen noting will grow in there.

I close cold and clean, holding SLAM level for 48 hours before I cover. Water is always 60F or below, usually mid-October here.

I open clear and cold, just as the pool starts to sustain 60’sF

Nothing but chlorine.

Hello, and thanks for the replies,

The water temp currently is about 68-70. The dilemma is that we’re getting a new roof put on in 2 weeks. We want the cover on to protect from any debris and nails.

The cover was installed with purchase, and taken off with our liner replacement, so we have not installed or removed it ourselves yet. I’m not sure how much of a pain it is to put on, but I think we’d rather put it on once instead of on, off, and on again after the roof is done.

So, I’m looking at closing before we reach 60F. I’m leaning toward closing early, using the closing techniques here (with the polyquat) and dealing with the results in April or May.

Thanks,

Cory

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.