Check you weir door.

Solrayz

Sep 7, 2020
Las Vegas
This just a rant to unload.

Yesterday I re-plumbed my pump outlet since it was developing a leak. After a few hours cure time, I tested the system for leaks and noticed major cyclical cavitation at the pump. Dumbfounded, I searched everywhere for leaks at the equipment and found nothing. Thinking that I had not reseated the hayward cartridge filter top properly, I reseated it three times out of frustration. I then checked and/or replaced and re-lubed all my o-rings including every Jandy valve, but the problem remained. Fearing the worst and about to make an expensive phone call, I walked backed to the pool and heard a loud gurgling and sucking sound from one of the skimmers. The weir door was jammed shut causing the water to drop and sucking air.

I spent half the day yesterday troubleshooting my pool equipment and it all came down to something so monumentally stupid. So with that said, after un-jamming the door and adjusting it, everything is back to normal. Moral of the story, don't jump to conclusions, because 9 times out of 10 its something trivial that you had not even thought of as a possibility.

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
Sometimes the simplest thing is right in front of our face. Happened to me just yesterday with my mini-split A/C disassembly. Just about ready to break the entire face off the unit before I FINALLY saw one remaining screw right in front of me holding it on. Took me over 3 hours before I saw it. :brickwall: Chalk it up as a learning experience, I know I did. :)

I'm really not happy about any unneeded stress on my whisper flow. Everything seems fine now but even 10 seconds of cavitation makes me nervous.
That won't stress the pump. The seal might get worn if it runs dry for a while depending on how much heat is developed and the quality of the seal. The seal probably never dried out, so it's probably fine. Watch for seal leaks in any case and replace the seal immediately if a leak develops.

Also, that's not really cavitation. Cavitation is where the pump is pulling against the water so hard that the water turns into vapor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.