Check Valve Help

ChadS44

Jun 2, 2020
Missouri
Hey all, I was trying to backflush some leaves off of my main drain and took apart the front end of the pump. When I removed the check valve, I noticed a rock was lodged in it. I put everything back together and tried several times to get prime and it wouldn’t work. I went up to the hardware store and bought some pipe and fittings to get rid of the check valve, however, I couldn’t find a union male side that would fit with the female side on the front side of the check valve. I’m thinking I would have to rebuild everything because of the limited space. I lodged the rock back into the valve and put everything back together and it primed immediately. How much is that valve restricting my flow and should I hire a plumber to rebuild everything? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 10
That seems very odd!

It looks like that check valve could be inadvertently reversed, which would cause what you describe, but would be an unlikely thing to do, because they usually have an arrow that needs to be pointed toward the pump.

Approx. how much Is the pump above the pool water level?

The check valve should not have enough restriction of flow to stop the pump from priming.

It’s about 6 feet higher and plumbed with 2in pipe. I checked and the arrow on the valve was pointing in the correct direction. When I put everything together, I jammed a rock in to valve to keep it open. I guess if it’s functioning that I shouldn’t mess with it.

To each their own, yeh, I'd be uncomfortable with a rock in it myself, but if it moves it will get caught in the pump strainer basket as long as that's intact. The rock will be restricting flow and defeating the check valve, but yeh, if it ain't broke...

I was more so wondering if maybe the check valve was in backwards when you had removed the rock and were testing. I'd at least try it it without the rock one more time, being sure the arrow is pointed toward the pump, and see if it primes. At six feet above the pool, it might take a few minutes to prime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.