Check Valve does not seem to be working?

xrabbi

Jun 22, 2020
NYC
Per the image below there is a check valve and Jandy valve between the single suction line coming from pool and the pump. My understanding is that the check valve ensures that no water come through into the pump if the pump is not powered on and operating. Our equipment is in the garage a good 10 feet below water level so this protection is necessary. Like an idiot today, I went to clean out the pump strainer basket without first closing the Jandy valve -- water immediately began pouring out of the pump at high velocity until I closed the valve. Since the pump was off and power was off -- shouldn't the check valve have prevented the water from flowing into the pump from the suction line? Appreciated.

20200831_170626.jpg

The check valve is preventing water from the equipment pad (pump) from going back to the pool. It cannot work the other way or your pump would not get water from the pool.

Not sure why you would have a check valve there with your equipment being below pool water level.

If it prevented water coming down when the pump was off, it would prevent it coming down to the pump when it was on. PB was not too sharp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.