Check Valve between Chlorinator and Sand Filter

Desorath

Jul 24, 2022
New England, USA
have a fairly simple system for a house I recently bought. I am new to pool stuff and have spent a lot of time reading and trying to learn

A picture is attached for reference:

Skimmer/Drain -> Jandy Valve -> Pump - > Sand Filter -> Chlorinator -> Pool Returns

I recently replaced the multiport valve and chlorinator due to both leaking, and while I was at it, I added a check valve between the chlorinator and the multiport/sand filter.

There is a harsh right angle that forms at the output from the multiport valve to the check valve, and I now learned that this caused the check valve to prematurely fail within a month of use. Water coming from the output appears to have favored one side of the flapping valve causing it to jam up and restrict flow rather than operate correctly. Sawing this part off and having to re-PVC stuff together has become a pain since the chlorinator's unions are internet only parts and I need to wait without an operational filter for a few days for them to arrive. Funny enough, the chlorinator has been a huge headache itself and I learned recently that it caused my pool to have excess CYA which is another struggle I am working through (drain/fill a few inches every week and Bioactive also was added recently)

The prior owners of the home never had a check valve there, but I am assuming (correct me if I am wrong), this may have caused the original multiport valve to crack and slow water leak (the base of the whole assembly had a vertical crack), and the pressure reader to fog up and not work either (which is why I had to replace this whole assembly)

Is it safe to just omit the check valve altogether ? Does anyone NOT follow Hayward's recommendations of a check valve before the use of a chlorinator and have success with no filter components breaking?

Thank you

Attachments

• New Filter Diagram.jpg
    New Filter Diagram.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 8
  • original setup.jpg
    original setup.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 7
D,

I have never heard of adding check valve between the filter and the tab feeder. It is a requirement that a check valve be added between a heater and a tab feeder.

If I were to install a check valve, it would be a Jandy check valve, and not a cheap PVC check valve. You can easily replace the guts of a Jandy check valve.

Thanks,

Jim R.

D,

I have never heard of adding check valve between the filter and the tab feeder. It is a requirement that a check valve be added between a heater and a tab feeder.

If I were to install a check valve, it would be a Jandy check valve, and not a cheap PVC check valve. You can easily replace the guts of a Jandy check valve.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I must have misread the instructions Hayward's CL200 came with :(. And yes the check valve I bought compared to Jandy Brand check valves is certainly cheaper. I do feel better running without one at all at this point with you saying that now!

Thanks!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.