Cheap Oil-Absorbing Scum Sponge - doing the job or not?

Nov 5, 2016
Sweden
Are the cheap Oil-Absorbing Scum Sponge (such as Scumbug) any good for Spa / Hot Tub?
After reading the reviews of the products in Amazon the buyers are divided between great product and worst product possible.
Since I trust this forum, I ask for guidance. I have tried both and I can see and feel they are made from different material, and they behave differently in the water.
It seems like the low-cost versions is more like the same plastic as you have in a bed mattress while the expensive ones are more like plastics that are wrapped around a TV or a computer (the inner wrapping).
The low-cost version turns yellow/brown in just a couple of days. Some reviews make the conclusion the product is doing the job (catching the dirt/oil/biofilm) while others say it is proof that it is a counterfeit, and it is just a waste of money.
I have tried both the cheap products and the ones that is sold in spa shops.
The price difference is huge. In Sweden I can get 15 cheap Scum sponge for the price of 1 Scum sponge from a spa store. I can definitely see they are made of different materials, and I can see that the expensive ones never shift in color. If the shift in color just prove it is doing its job, I am fine with that (so does Ahh-Some). I am not sure if it turns brown because the sponge is doing its job collection dirt and oil or if it is turning brown because of a chemical reaction. And even if it is the chemicals (bromine) in the water that turns the cheap sponge brown it might still do a god job independent of the color it has. Or it might be useless. I don't know.

I have very good water quality, so it is nothing wrong with my water.

Is 1 expensive Oil-Absorbing Scum Sponge (that never shift color) better than 15 cheap ones?

I see this was up for question in this thread a few years back - but never came to a conclusion.

Scumbug Turned Yellow?

Attachments

• PastedGraphic-1.png
    PastedGraphic-1.png
    324.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Many of us use tennis balls for the same affect. They find their way to the skimmers. At worst a kid finds them and plays with them for a bit and then they find their way back to the skimmer.

I have had the “scum ball”version which turned brown immediately & started to disintegrate like the old nerf balls from my childhood. It didn’t seem to absorb anything & only caused a mess of foam bits.
I only like the rollachem scum bugs - they do in fact absorb oils & I squeeze mine out to release the oils every time i get in the tub. It is only in the water while i soak. The rest of the time it lives in the cup holder. I get them in a 2 pack & they last forever. I have had my spa 3 years & only been through 2 or 3. If i have a swim party i throw one in the pool for the sunscreen. The genuine ones don’t discolor. I have had good luck ordering on amazon with spa depot as the seller as well as through their website.

I don’t have “scum” either but as a lady who uses moisturizing body washes & such, when i get in the tub i can see a hint of oils on the water if the lighting is right. I use the scum bug when i soak to prevent this from making it to my filter.

Reactions: Ignoramus
+1. 2 of my 3 gals have thick hair and the residual shampoo/conditioner made the tub a suds rave party anytime they got in. The bathing suits too. We learned not to clean them every time real quick. Lol.

+1. 2 of my 3 gals have thick hair and the residual shampoo/conditioner made the tub a suds rave party anytime they got in. The bathing suits too. We learned not to clean them every time real quick. Lol.
Yes 🙌 the hair! I instruct all the tweenaged girls to put their long hair up when hot tubbing. The pool has such a large volume it’s not noticeable but it will make my little tub cloudy in a heartbeat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.