Changing sand...and using 'pool sand' from local pool store

IanB22

Jun 19, 2012
Well, we have moved and I am now on Pool #2. The darn sand filter cracked a spider arm in the filter somehow, so I had to break it all down and replace it, and got me some 60$ worth of local pool store sand.

Filled it up, and man has it made a difference in the filtration of the pool. Used to be a non-believer, but now, I am 100% in the camp that new sand is a big deal!

Wanted to pass on the feedback to the TFP community.

669e51a578481ec268a257355a753f98.jpg

I am glad your filter is working better but I do have to wonder if it is more the replacement of the broken piece than needing new sand. I also wonder if your "old" sand needed to be deep cleaned. What makes you lean towards it all being the new sand? (this is an honest question)

Kim:kim:

You know.....I will say the old sand had debris of some kind in it. Like, some weird fabric somehow had gotten into it. Oh yeah, and it was short at least 100lbs....so removing the debris, adding the correct amount of sand, may have gotten the same results as 'new' sand I refer too. I certainly can't say it was the sand alone, but I was surprised how much better everything is now that it has these fixes.

If you tell someone that the new tires you got on your car made a huge difference, but then reveal that you had been driving around with only 3 tires before, most people are probably going to largely attribute the better performance to running on 4 tires.

What I'm trying to say is that the missing 100 lbs of sand from your filter probably contributed a lot more to your filtration deficiency than the age of the sand.

I can totally see that being the case! So if anyone else has a leaking sand problem, or bought a pool and has never checked how much sand you have, now is the time (if your filtration isn't as efficient as it should be or your pool isn't as sparkly as your Nieghbor's and you have perfect chemistry....this could be why)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.