Changing over

I have removable steps. How would you go about cleaning them?....

Perhaps someone more familiar with those will chime in, but i would first wash outside with bleach. if there are holes in them that allow pool water to enter, then you should clean the inside with bleach too.

pool water looks great!

I have removable steps. How would you go about cleaning them? I am also going to purchase new hoses after this is over. I’m not putting anything in my good clean pool that would bring back the white mold.
Are they the solid plastic or metal? I've heard of people pulling the plastic ones apart, giving them a good scrubbing (all nooks and crannies) and "tossing" them in the pool during treatment, if they are the metal ones, you'll have to scrub them by hand completely

I have removable steps. How would you go about cleaning them? I am also going to purchase new hoses after this is over. I’m not putting anything in my good clean pool that would bring back the white mold.
I checked the pool this morning after putting 4 gallons in last night. It dropped from 36ppm FC (last night 30 minutes after I added the chlorine) to 22 ppm FC and a ph of 7.2. I did not add any chlorine tested at 7:30 this evening and ph was 7.2 and FC was 0. I added 3 gallons of chlorine at 7:30. Tested at:
8:00 FC 32
8:30. FC 30
9:00. FC 32
Did not add any more chlorine bleach. My pool water (looking down into water).

What is your CYA? I'm curious why you are dosing to FC/30+ppm? (If you have NO CYA, then UV is burning off your chlorine) What is your overnight CC result?

And if your FC is 10+, PH won't read accurately (it shows a false higher reading due to chemical interaction)

Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine said:
  1. Test your pH. You will want to adjust that to 7.2 - 7.4 before you begin.
  2. Use PoolMath to determine how much bleach you will need to raise your FC (Free Chlorine) from 0 to 15ppm.
  3. Add the bleach and watch the pretty colors! Take photos!
  4. Test your water frequently and add the appropriate amount of bleach to get back up to 15ppm. Do this as often as possible, as often as every hour if you can, but at least once a day. Make sure you test and add bleach before bed, and test again in the morning before the sun hits your pool. Initially, the FC will be used up very quickly. The more often you can test and boost your FC to 15, the faster the conversion will go. Toward the middle of the conversion, it is more prudent to test and add your bleach in the evening, or at other times when the sunlight is not directly shining on your water.
  5. Check the pressure in your filter frequently, and backwash (or clean cartridges) as necessary. You will flush out a ton of 'Baqua-goo'.
  6. Brushing and/or vacuuming is helpful.
  7. When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.
  8. Your conversion is complete when CC's are 0.5 or less two days in a row.
  9. You are now ready to review Recommended Levels and ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and begin balancing your water.

There is no cya yet because I’m still in the changeover process and have not added any muriatic acid to the pool yet. The FC goes from 0 to as high as 36ppms and I have not been able to maintain the recommended 15ppms since I have started the conversion. I was putting in 4 to 5 gallons of 10% chlorine bleach twice a day (morning and evening) now I’m just putting in 3 gallons one time a day (evening). Still waiting to get to 15ppms. It’s my understand using the steps that I should not put stabilizer in pool until changeover is complete and I have changed and cleaned my filter. I have not checked for cc because the FC so drastically fluctuates. I’m just trying to find the right combination using the steps. Pool calculator says 3 gallons. So I’ve dropped down to three. No one has been in the pool yet and my water is crystal clear.

Definitely NO CYA at this point. Continue with the bleach only. But you shouldn't being hopping up & down so much. Are you using PoolMath? That tool is your pool's best friend. Just make sure to enter all the info correctly on the FC row and it should resolve over or under-dosing with bleach.

There is no cya yet because I’m still in the changeover process and have not added any muriatic acid to the pool yet. The FC goes from 0 to as high as 36ppms and I have not been able to maintain the recommended 15ppms since I have started the conversion. I was putting in 4 to 5 gallons of 10% chlorine bleach twice a day (morning and evening) now I’m just putting in 3 gallons one time a day (evening). Still waiting to get to 15ppms. It’s my understand using the steps that I should not put stabilizer in pool until changeover is complete and I have changed and cleaned my filter. I have not checked for cc because the FC so drastically fluctuates. I’m just trying to find the right combination using the steps. Pool calculator says 3 gallons. So I’ve dropped down to three. No one has been in the pool yet and my water is crystal clear.

Are the settings in PoolMath with your pools gallons at the top and on the chlorine line Now/_0_ Goal/_15_ and match the weight of the chlorine you're using? :)
And change the now if you get a reading other then zero of course
I thought you posted yesterday your FC was 30+ for a few hours? (I'm on mobile, so hard to scroll through posts) B-)

In pool math there is a space to fill in and the only choices are tricolor, dichlor, and a bunch of other things and I don’t know what they are or which I should choose:(. Also my FC ranges from 0-36, 0 at around 4 In afternoon after work and 36 after I put (now) 3 gallons in the evening. Usually 28-22 the next morning then repeat of the day.
okay I now know what trichlor and dichlor are and obviously I am using neither. The pool math says I need to put 384 oz of 10% chlorine bleach. That’s what I have put in. And I’ve gotten the high levels >=36 right after I put the bleach in. The next morning it drops to 22 ppms. In the afternoon about 4:00 it’s 0 ppms.

In pool math there is a space to fill in and the only choices are tricolor, dichlor, and a bunch of other things and I don’t know what they are or which I should choose
If you at referring to the bottom area "Effects of adding chemicals", you don't need that area right now. You're using regular bleach and should be at the top (FC) row to determine bleach dosages. If you are referring to the drop-down at the far right, just ignore that since you are using bleach.
Also my FC ranges from 0-36, 0 at around 4 In afternoon after work and 36 after I put (now) 3 gallons in the evening. Usually 28-22 the next morning then repeat of the day.
Sounds like the sun is doing a number of your FC with no CYA (which we would expect. Now might be a good time, before it gets totally dark, to prepare for an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test test. Make sure to test the FC just before bed and again in the morning before the sun hits the water. Also, please post your CC results for each test when you report back in the morning. We'll put more eyes on your thread's progress and go from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'm still puzzled how your FC is getting so high at times since 3 gallons of bleach in a 20K pool should only go up to an FC of 15 - unless you are adding 3 gallons on top of an already elevated FC. That's something you'll want to be careful of for your liner.

Sorry for side track question....
Still trying to understand why chlorine is being added @ dose that spikes it to 36? Which is double the target? And suggested shock level w/o CYA present is under 20 I thought?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Retteach66, in anticipation for tomorrow's OCLT results, you can refrain from adding any more bleach in the day. The sun is just depleting it too fast. So depending on your OCLT result tomorrow morning, we'll determine if you need to continue the chlorine treatment or take other action for the conversion. Have a good evening.

Well this sucks! I just ran out of the R0871 drops. And it’s the bottle I ordered for back up as suggested. I just ordered some more today but it won’t be here until the 30th! Unless I can find some at the local pool stores or Walmart I’m screwed! I won’t be able to do the early morning test. I’ll try though.

Honestly, I don’t get it either unless I am testing wrong. When I put the chlorine bleach in the pool the FC is 0. I take my first sample about 30 minutes after I add three gallons of chlorine. I use two dippers of the powder. It turns it red! Then it take 160 to 180 drops to get the water in the test kit to get clear. I’ve tested for cc on May 13 it was 5.2. May 14 the cc was .8. Now I’m out of the R 0871 liquid for testing! And my water looks beautiful! Shew! This is an rural. I’m not giving up though. I have to say the granddaughters are getting a bit antsy. They want to swim��. I’ll update when I find the regrant hopefully around here in the morning so I can test.

You should be using 10 ml water sample for testing FC. Then you count the drops and divide by 2. NO need for greater accuracy.

It will be difficult to find that reagent in normal stores.

Take care.

Honestly, I don’t get it either unless I am testing wrong. When I put the chlorine bleach in the pool the FC is 0. I take my first sample about 30 minutes after I add three gallons of chlorine. I use two dippers of the powder. It turns it red! Then it take 160 to 180 drops to get the water in the test kit to get clear. I’ve tested for cc on May 13 it was 5.2. May 14 the cc was .8. Now I’m out of the R 0871 liquid for testing! And my water looks beautiful! Shew! This is an rural. I’m not giving up though. I have to say the granddaughters are getting a bit antsy. They want to swim��. I’ll update when I find the regrant hopefully around here in the morning so I can test.
Yes that sounds like you are doing the test correctly (with a 10ml sample?), are you swirling the tube after each reagent drop?

What is the strength of the chlorine?

And just to double check, what are your pool's dimensions? :)

We'll all help you hone in on what's up!

Great job hanging in there, it will be easy peasy very soon!

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to go off script for a sec, while you wait for your proper reagent to come, do you have the yellow OTO chlorine test? Walmart sells it for about $3 here (HTH "3-way" test), I'm just curious what color it will turn after you add your normal bleach dose to the pool and test 30 min later. It is NOT reliable for SLAM Process, but I'm curious for comparison.

Found the regeant this morning. Just tested yes the sun has been on half the pool for about 30 minutes. It tested at 12ppms for FC (I put three gallons in last night at 11. The CC test at 0. PH 7.4. Getting ready to get all the gunk out of the center of the pool in a few minutes. My pool is round. It is 30 ft in diameter. Chlorine strength is 10%. Yes I swirl. However I’ve done this so much I’ve started to just watch as I add the drops. Then swirl when I see it start to change a little. Then add more etc. I have been using 25 ml sample following the directions in the box.

- - - Updated - - -

Found the regeant this morning. Just tested yes the sun has been on half the pool for about 30 minutes. It tested at 12ppms for FC (I put three gallons in last night at 11. The CC test at 0. PH 7.4. Getting ready to get all the gunk out of the center of the pool in a few minutes. My pool is round. It is 30 ft in diameter. Chlorine strength is 10%. Yes I swirl. However I’ve done this so much I’ve started to just watch as I add the drops. Then swirl when I see it start to change a little. Then add more etc. I have been using 25 ml sample following the directions in the box.

Retteach66, it looks like you're getting close. But subject matter expert talk behind the scenes here at TFP agrees you should give it one more day (today) and do another OCLT. For our evaluation's sake, do your best to nail that FC of 15 this evening for your last nighttime test if you can so we can see what it looks like in the morning. Thank you and good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.