Change in pH effect vinyl liner

May 19, 2016
St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I recall hearing early in my pool owning days before I found TFP that lowering your pH too fast could damage your vinyl liner.

I don’t recalling reading anything here on lower your pH in stages so thought I’d see if that is a myth or truth.

The reason I ask is I need to lower my pH from 8.4 to 7.6 and pool math says I will need 1 litre of acid. Can I just dump 1 litre of muriatic acid in the pool or should I do a 1/4 litre at a time over several hours?

thanks.

Lowering ph below the 7’s can damage your liner as well as allowing it to stay below 7.
So long as you pour the ma slowly in front of a return & brush the area not allowing it to sit on your liner it will be fine.
We don’t recommend “dumping” acid in.

I didn’t mean literally “dump” and I should have said “put it all in at one time”. This isn’t my first time adding chemicals but I appreciate your response as it kinda answer my question. Thanks
Just trying to be thorough as these threads are used as a reference for anyone who googles even if they never make a post.

Reactions: Her pool boy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.