Change filter grid <or> Get new filter ?

Jul 17, 2009
Have Pentair FNS Plus 48 filter for about 20 years. I can honestly say I have got my money’s worth.

Note that despite having a backwash valve, I never use it. Rather, I take the thing apart, and hose off the grids, and put it back together, and add new DE. I end up doing this about 3 to 4 times a year.

Recently, during one of these cleanings, I saw some tears in the filter grids although there is no DE coming into the pool, at least that I can see.

I could probably replace these grids for about 100 bucks. And the fiberglass canister part of the filter assembly appears to be intact. But should I really change the grids? Or should I purchase a new filter all together?

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." A new filter will undoubtedly require sawing through some pipes because nothing ever lines right up. More joints means more chances for leaks. And who knows if the sawing will disturb something else and create a new leak somewhere else? Replacing grids doesn't disturb any plumbing.

If it keeps it going only another year or two, it's still relatively cheap. Maybe splurge and buy a new tank O-ring while you're at it.
My two cents.

S,

I agree with PoolGate... A large cartridge filter will allow you to get rid of the multiport valve and never have to mess with DE again.

I have two rent house pools that have DE filters.. I keep hoping they will die so that I can replace them with large cartridge filters.

I too never backwash them.. I open and clean them twice a year.

If you are looking to get rid of the MVP, and no longer using DE, then I'd upgrade. Otherwise, what Richard says makes the most financial sense.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I recently took apart and fully cleaned my filter and discovered a thumb sized hole in the grid. I used a folded over section of skimmer basket sock and sewed a patch on so I could get it back up and running until I got a replacement. I I may just leave it as I am happy with the repair and the pool is very clear. Probably evaluate the repair next time when I soak the grids as I suspect they are as scaled up as my pool but they looked fine and I didn't have time for a soak.
Grid Hole.jpgPatched Hole.jpg

Reactions: wireform
I recently took apart and fully cleaned my filter and discovered a thumb sized hole in the grid. I used a folded over section of skimmer basket sock and sewed a patch on so I could get it back up and running until I got a replacement. I I may just leave it as I am happy with the repair and the pool is very clear. Probably evaluate the repair next time when I soak the grids as I suspect they are as scaled up as my pool but they looked fine and I didn't have time for a soak.
View attachment 139961View attachment 139962
On eof my brothers-in-law sewed up a torn grid but he sealed it with RTV gasket goo to be safe.

Have Pentair FNS Plus 48 filter for about 20 years. I can honestly say I have got my money’s worth.

Note that despite having a backwash valve, I never use it. Rather, I take the thing apart, and hose off the grids, and put it back together, and add new DE. I end up doing this about 3 to 4 times a year.

Recently, during one of these cleanings, I saw some tears in the filter grids although there is no DE coming into the pool, at least that I can see.

I could probably replace these grids for about 100 bucks. And the fiberglass canister part of the filter assembly appears to be intact. But should I really change the grids? Or should I purchase a new filter all together?
I've replaced grid twice in 22 years for Hayward 3600 DE filter in CT. Low hours due to 3-4 month season in northeast. Bought replacements on line from whoever has lowest cost and free shipping. $100 sounds about right. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.