Challenger 2hp - AO B855 single - upgrade to 2green?

jblizzle said:
I think you are correct that a regular 3-way switch should work (I have not seem confirmation that this is to "code" though, but not sure why it would not be).

See Bama's first post ... if you just want a motor ... just remove the T from the end of the motors that were discussed.

Jason,
Understood on removing the T from the 2Green version of the part numbers. I'm wondering if there is a different pump motor than the 2green I should be considering (based on your comment of them being some spendy pumps...).

I just meant the timer made them seem expensive. A quick search found the B2984 for $362 at PSW as one option or the B2983 for $308 + probably around $25 for a smaller impeller.

OK
Ran some numbers against the other Challenger models:
For reference given a 12 (just for calculation purposes) hour run time at 12c/KWH ... note I "trusted" the challenger website for the cost per year.

Motor Hi Amp/Low Amp Total HP Cost per Year to run
SQS1202R 11.3/3.3 2.6 $449
B2984 11/1.8 2.6 $185
B985 10/3.5 2.2 $383
VS 10/1.6 $177

All of that said I'm just realizing that I mixed 48Y and 56Y motors in my comparison ... not sure what that means to me but I'm sure we can get there from here. Long and short is that the 2Green appears to have the best cost/benefit with a single year ROI over the traditional 2 speed motors. The VGreen (VS) wouldn't yeild an ROI over the 2Green during its usable life given a 12c per KWH energy factor.

PS - Jason Just saw that you posted while I was writing the comparison. Thank you sir - $362 looks like a dog that hunts for me.

I do not possibly see how that B2985 with a smaller HP would cost more to run than the 984 ... those amp specs do not make sense.

Simply, on Low you will move 1/2 the water for 1/4 the cost of electricity. And the less water you move, the less $ spent on electricity. So a smaller pump which moves less water really should use less power.

jblizzle said:
I do not possibly see how that B2985 with a smaller HP would cost more to run than the 984 ... those amp specs do not make sense.

Simply, on Low you will move 1/2 the water for 1/4 the cost of electricity. And the less water you move, the less $ spent on electricity. So a smaller pump which moves less water really should use less power.

Jason - that the B985 - not a B298x. I think the difference in B2xxx vs the Bxxx is in the copper wind they use for the low speed side (hence the 2Green). That is the only way I see that they could build a 2 speed motor with a lower amp draw and the same HP. The amp numbers came straight from the Century website. Given a different wind on the motor I think the 2 Green (B2xxx) is actually doing better than the 1/2 to 1/4 relationship. Roughly half the water for 1/6th the electric because of the more efficient motor (within the margin of error of a VS motor).

Regardless the B2984 looks like the Ticket. Now ... on to 48Y vs 56Y.

EDIT:
Just confirmed that the B2xxx is indeed a different motor technology than the Bxxx, that is why we are seeing the amp difference on the low side.

I think I answered my own question on the 48Y vs 56Y - you can use a 48Y on a 56Y pump but not necessarily the other way around. The difference in in the size of the motor and the 48Y comes with a spacer to fit a 56Y pump if needed. Am I reading that correctly?

karmabiker said:
I think I answered my own question on the 48Y vs 56Y - you can use a 48Y on a 56Y pump but not necessarily the other way around. The difference in in the size of the motor and the 48Y comes with a spacer to fit a 56Y pump if needed. Am I reading that correctly?

Something like that. The 56 is bigger so may not fit on 48, but could go other way around with a spacer.

Based on the research I did when I bought a B2982 for my WhisperFlo, Pentair does not put the high efficiency permanent magnet motors into their 2-speed pumps. I suspect Hayward does the same thing. This represents a big hunk of the claimed ROI for the variable speed motors as compared to the 2-speed induction motors, not the high-efficiency B29XX 2-speed permanent magnet motors sold only as after-market replacements/upgrades..

They also compare the VS cost vs. 2-speed pump for THE SAME RUN-TIME, without adjusting for the lower flow rate on the VS--at least as far as I can tell. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the payback of a VS vs, a B29xx in a true $/gal moved analysis would not justify the upfront cost. I find running low-speed all the time except for B'wash and vacuum is fine, so a B2982 with an SPDT installed right into the side of the timer box (with a weather 'condom') was the smart thing to do for my setup.

I think our members should be made aware that by upgrading an existing single-speed pump with a B29xx motor, you create a more efficient 2-speed pump than any available on the market for much less than the price of a new pump.

Bama Rambler said:
Your current motor has a sfhp of 2.2. The 2983 has a sfhp of 1.875 and the 2984 has a sfhp of 2.5 so the 2983 is a bit too small for the impeller you have. I'd either replace the impeller with the 2983 or go for the 2984.

Bama,
I'm doig last minute double checks before ordering the B29XX.

I reading the B2983 as sfhp 2.21 and the B2984 as sfhp 2.60 ... what am I missing here?

Still thinking the B2984?

Thanks again for all the help!

You can put a larger motor on a smaller rated impeller, but you can't put a smaller rated motor on a larger rated impeller.

Well now I can't find where I read the sfhp of the B2983 but everything I see now says it's 1.5 hp with a 1.47 sf. Given that, I'd go with the B2983 as it matches your impeller perfectly. However, if the price is exactly the same the B2984 would work a little less hard on your impeller so that might influence my decision. My thinking is that it may last a little longer given the lighter load it would see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.