simonoaks

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2015
Juno Beach , Florida
Hi,

Been a couple of years since I tested CH.

Jut tried it, and sample went VERY light pink (like when You do an FC test and get to 2 drops from clear). I then added the reagent and after 30 drops it went clear but did not turn blue.

What shade of red is an indication of Calcium? I just feel like the test was useless even though it went from faint pink to clear/ slight blue hue after 30+ drops

thx

Here are the specific instructions: Pool School - Calcium Hardness. This test had me tricked for a long time until I gave it a chance, and by that I mean using enough drops. So first you add the (10) #10 drops right? Then the (3) #11-dark blue drops. Now if you have any calcium in the water, it will start to look a light purple after adding those 3 blue drops. So start mixing and adding drops of the #12 one at a time. Keep going until that light purple changes to a baby blue. That's the color you are looking for - baby blue. Multiply each drop by 25 and that's your CH.

I was doing it with 25ml. 20 drops then 5 then the counting. I thought it was supposed to turn red if calcium is present, then change from red to blue with the final count being when it no longer goes any darker blue.
That works as well. For those who suspect they have a low CH level, and you might in FL if you get lots of water exchange from rain, then remember this note:
The sample may turn purple during the test, or go to blue for a moment and then turn back to red/pink. This is called a "fading endpoint" and is caused by interference from metal ions. If this happens, do the test again, but this time add five drops of R-0012 before adding any R-0010 or R-0011L. Remember to count the initial five drops in the total.

Yes, I saw that. My concern is that the test is not properly working because when I add the first 2 chemicals, the water turns a super faint pink , like when you come to the end of an FC test and it is about to go clear. So, what does that mean? As I have not added any calcium in 2-3 years, and it used to be at 450 about 3 years ago, is there a 'average' drop per year?

It is not going blue straight off, so presume there is some calcium , however does the super faint pink mean there is too little to test properly ?

Ok, Just tested again using 10ml. It worked ok, so my CH is 200. Will go to pool calculator and figure out how much calcium chloride to add.

I have not done borates before, I presume it is best to leave that until last and do it when all other levels are in range ?

thx

Ok, Just tested again using 10ml. It worked ok, so my CH is 200. Will go to pool calculator and figure out how much calcium chloride to add.

I have not done borates before, I presume it is best to leave that until last and do it when all other levels are in range ?
Glad you got it. Correct on the borates. Definitely wait until everything else is in good shape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can understand that in FL. Maybe this will help:
Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool

Home Depot used to have something called "Pool Time Calcium Hardness Increaser".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.