CH Low and dont know if I am doing the CYA reading right.

Regnar

Oct 30, 2016
Oldsmar/FL
Good Evening everyone,

Let me say that I have been having algae issues ever since I moved into the house 3 months ago. I had been using the same method the previous owner used which was a few tablets into the chlorinator and 1.5 gallons of liquid chlorine. I would maybe go through a tablet or 2 a week. My pool store did all the testing and every week I would be a little on the high side for chlorine and told me it was fine. So getting sick and tired of scrubbing the walls led me to this forum. The information on this site is way more informative than the pamphlet the pool store gave me and I would like to say thank you to everyone.

So my problem is I dont know if I am reading the CYA reading right. Seems kinda simple but I can see the dot almost all the way filled. I don't see a perfect dot but a shadow of a dot is there. I also did the test at dusk so it got me thinking that I might need the sunlight to reflect.

Here are my test results on the left and the pool stores test results on the right.

TC 14.2ppm 6.0
FC 14.2ppm 6.0
PH 7.6ppm 7.8
TA 90ppm 125ppm
CH 180ppm 350ppm <----Can it drop that much in less than a week?
CYA 60ppm 100+ppm
Temp 76
CSI -.18

The only thing that I have added to the pool in the last week per the suggestions of the pool store was 1 gallon of chlorine and 10.8 oz of phosphate remover to get rid of algae food. I used the Taylor K-2006 for the testing. Also order the speedstir today too. LOL

Welcome to TFP!

To kill algae once and for all follow this process, SLAM Process.

Yes, the CYA test needs to be read outside in the sun. Your back to the sun so that sunlight floods in from the sides and not the top. Pour the sample back and forth as often as you want and walk around to different light until you are comfortable with the result then round it up to the next 10.

The only way CH can drop by half is if you drain half your pool and refill it with water that has no CH. :) So, one of the tests had an error.

We always will trust your test results over the pool store test results and you should too.

No need to use phosphate removers. The SLAM Process will take care of the algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.