Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi Folks

I've been running the TFP way for a long time. I don't post here much because I don't have a complicated set up and, I guess, I have been pretty lucky too! ;)
For the last several years, over the winter, at the point the water temp drops into the mid 50s F, I take out the SWCG, do one final set of full tests and then just keep an eye on pH and FC/CC through the cold!
Mid-winter. About now-ish I'd run another full set of tests and then run the same two tests (pH and FC/CC) through until the end of March when I'd start on pool set up again.
I know it's lazy, but for years I used to do all the tests every week and nothing changed other than pH & FC in this pool - so I stopped being as thorough.
It may have bitten me in the butt this year.

I ran my mid winter tests this morning:
  • FC=3
  • CC = 0
  • pH = 7.9 (I'll bring that down a bit today)
  • TA = 80
  • CYA = 50 (I probably wont mess with that until March)
  • Salt = 3600
  • CH = 700
  • CSI = 0.12
  • Temp = 49F

The pool looks great - clear (cold!). I can't see any scaling round the water line or anywhere else but that CH is higher than I have ever had and way higher than it was when I closed down (CH= 500) a few months ago.

I typically do a TFT-100 refresh in March so the test chemicals I am using are 10 months old.... I ran the test twice to validate. Same result both times.

It's a little unfair to say the number has "jumped" seeing as I have not tested in in months. But it's new and different to me to have such a high change over the fall/winter. So, questions to all of you who are way more knowledgeable than me:
  • Obviously, if the result is accurate the only thing I can do is drain 50%+ of the pool and refill. Any advice on how urgent that is or anything else I should do before going down that path?
  • Any thoughts on what would/could cause a rise like this?
  • Any thoughts on problems I should be on the look out for given this change in test results?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers MattJ

From a few months ago to today, have you been adding fill water? Have you been using Cal Hypo?

From a few months ago to today, have you been adding fill water? Have you been using Cal Hypo?
Sorry - I should have mentioned that.
Very little fill water. Some, but not much - we have had enough rain to keep things topped up.
No Cal-Hypo. The only chemicals I have added in the last 6 months have been Bleach and Muriatic Acid

Then what was the source of calcium?

I would check your testing methods. Review Calcium Hardness
My initial (fearful) reaction was that I've done something so terrible it's leached out of the plaster. But I don't know if that's even a thing really... so you are right; I have no explanation for where the calcium has come from - that's why it's surprising to me.

It's a fair call on the testing procedures. I've been using the TF-100 test kit & procedures for over 10 years - completely aligned with the link you posted. I'm pretty sure I know what's what, but I can always use a refresher, I'll start there.
I'll order my refresh kit now and test with fresh reagents when they come. I'll also run a sample up to the pool store and get a sanity check from them.

I'll post back here when I have a better read on the number.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I would skip the pool store. The CH they test tends to be wrong.

Check the NOTES section of the testing link I provided. Try the 'fading endpoint' process to see if it helps. Other trick is to cut the pool water with 1:1 distilled water and then do the test as normal. Double the result you get.

Retested using the "fading endpoint" method and got a very clear CH reading of 675.
I suspect my testing methodology has become lax here over time. My CH level has crept up and I have not really noticed.
I will partially drain and refill ... when it gets a little warmer!

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.