CH is high and TA is low

mskillens

Jun 26, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone!

So I'm ready for pool season and I did my own testing today to see what the status of my pool is.

Chlorine: 6 PPM
PH: 7.4
TA: 60 PPM - I usually try to get it to at least 80 but it's been a little low the past few weeks.
CH: 460 PPM, I'm assuming this is on the higher end of the spectrum but I have a white plaster pool, last Summer it was at a nice 320PPM so hopefully I can find a way to lower it over time again.
CYA: 50 - Last Summer it was at a very high 80-90 so I'm glad that it's finally gone down after a year to a nice level

Other than that, everything looks fine, the actual appearance of the water is crystal clear so that's going well thus far.

The last time I did a good spraying of the 4 cylinder filters was back in August so I'll probably hose them down again as Summertime rolls around. Other than that, anybody else have any advice on reducing Calcium Hardness to between 300-350 raising Total Alkalinity to around 80?

PS: I FINALLY GOT A SPEED STIR! It makes testing like 500000 times easier and fun.

No reason to raise the TA. The pH is fine and those two work together.

The only way to reduce the CH is to drain pool water and replace with lower CH fill water. You do not need to do that. I manage our pool water until the CH gets to between 800 and 1000 ppm.

Reactions: mskillens
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.