Concord, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Awhile ago my Hayward 2hp Super pump kept losing prime. I bought a new set of gaskets and a new impeller (SPX2607C - recommended on this board). Today I decide to replace everything to get a jump on preparing for the season. I decided to remove the internal switch vs. the capacitor so I could get at the pump shaft with a 1/2” wrench to hold it while I removed the impeller. Now, this is the part where I go “these things always happen to me”. The screw that holds the switch down into the housing snapped. (!) “these things always happen to me” Part II - I got a screw extractor to try and get the screw out. Tried heating with a torch, PB Blaster. Then the extractor broke inside the screw. I can't repeat the torrent of curse words that came out of my mouth, some pretty inventive I must say.

Nothing I tried could get that extractor out (they are really really hard btw). Instead of a pretty simple job I spent ALL DAY trying to get that screw out. So I gave up and tried epoxying the switch into place. I’m hoping that will work, but in the event that it doesn’t I guess I’m looking at a new motor…(?)

Folks here have always said my 2hp is oversized for my pool (it came with the house which is why I have it). If I have to get a new motor, my question is a 1.5 hp motor with a 56J frame like the 2hp should fit fine into the hayward pump, right? Any ideas other than a new motor?

Thanks!

I say be done with it. 2 hp for that is too big unless you go the vs route. Now would be a good time to switch out for more a efficient motor or complete pump change out. If you go with vs get a 3 hp and run as low rpm as the swg will allow. I don't think epoxy on the switch is a safe bet.

Reactions: EdKuhn
The epoxy on the switch seems to be holding. I'll go with that for now, but I'm still going to end up with at least a new motor however. Previously there was a bad bearing type sound when the pump would turn on. I thought it might have been the old impeller, but after replacement and reassembly/startup this morning, the sound was still there. All it takes is turning the pump off, then restarting, and it runs fine. So I guess that noise is a bearing in the motor.

The 2607 impeller takes a motor with a total hp of 1.0
So, you can use a single speed 1.0 hp motor or 2 speed if you want.
The pump seems to be moving as much water as it did with the old impeller. I don't have the SWG hooked up yet so don't know for sure if the flow is good, but it seems to be. I'll likely need a new motor soon so question re: 2 speed pumps: how do you switch between hi and low speed? My system is very basic, just an intermatic timer, not much else. Can I just manually flip a switch to hi when I want to vacuum?

A smaller impeller will move less water than a bigger impeller.

You can get a two speed motor with the high/low switch on the motor. Just verify that the motor comes with the switch.

Reactions: EdKuhn
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.