Century motor replacement question

EdKuhn

Silver Supporter
Jun 22, 2018
Concord, NC
Awhile ago my Hayward 2hp Super pump kept losing prime. I bought a new set of gaskets and a new impeller (SPX2607C - recommended on this board). Today I decide to replace everything to get a jump on preparing for the season. I decided to remove the internal switch vs. the capacitor so I could get at the pump shaft with a 1/2” wrench to hold it while I removed the impeller. Now, this is the part where I go “these things always happen to me”. The screw that holds the switch down into the housing snapped. (!) “these things always happen to me” Part II - I got a screw extractor to try and get the screw out. Tried heating with a torch, PB Blaster. Then the extractor broke inside the screw. I can't repeat the torrent of curse words that came out of my mouth, some pretty inventive I must say.

Nothing I tried could get that extractor out (they are really really hard btw). Instead of a pretty simple job I spent ALL DAY trying to get that screw out. So I gave up and tried epoxying the switch into place. I’m hoping that will work, but in the event that it doesn’t I guess I’m looking at a new motor…(?)

Folks here have always said my 2hp is oversized for my pool (it came with the house which is why I have it). If I have to get a new motor, my question is a 1.5 hp motor with a 56J frame like the 2hp should fit fine into the hayward pump, right? Any ideas other than a new motor?

Thanks!

wireform

Silver Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
I say be done with it. 2 hp for that is too big unless you go the vs route. Now would be a good time to switch out for more a efficient motor or complete pump change out. If you go with vs get a 3 hp and run as low rpm as the swg will allow. I don't think epoxy on the switch is a safe bet.

Reactions: EdKuhn

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
The 2607 impeller takes a motor with a total hp of 1.0.

So, you can use a single speed 1.0 hp motor or 2 speed if you want.

EdKuhn

Silver Supporter
Jun 22, 2018
Concord, NC
The epoxy on the switch seems to be holding. I'll go with that for now, but I'm still going to end up with at least a new motor however. Previously there was a bad bearing type sound when the pump would turn on. I thought it might have been the old impeller, but after replacement and reassembly/startup this morning, the sound was still there. All it takes is turning the pump off, then restarting, and it runs fine. So I guess that noise is a bearing in the motor.

EdKuhn

Silver Supporter
Jun 22, 2018
Concord, NC
The 2607 impeller takes a motor with a total hp of 1.0
So, you can use a single speed 1.0 hp motor or 2 speed if you want.
The pump seems to be moving as much water as it did with the old impeller. I don't have the SWG hooked up yet so don't know for sure if the flow is good, but it seems to be. I'll likely need a new motor soon so question re: 2 speed pumps: how do you switch between hi and low speed? My system is very basic, just an intermatic timer, not much else. Can I just manually flip a switch to hi when I want to vacuum?

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
A smaller impeller will move less water than a bigger impeller.

You can get a two speed motor with the high/low switch on the motor. Just verify that the motor comes with the switch.