Century AO Smith Pump: Overcurrent Fault

Jul 25, 2010
Hey All,

Last May 2016, I bought a Century (AO Smith) Size 1.5 HP Full Rate Two Speed Motor W/ Timer - Round Flange (B977T, B2977T) to replace a burnt out Hayward.

I replaced it myself, after having watched multiple YouTube videos. This year it was working fine, albeit very loud pitch when running in High Speed.

Last week I noticed pump was running, check the diagnostic display on Timer and it reads "Overcurrent Fault: disconnect power and rotate shaft"

So I did this yesterday. the shaft itself turns freely, but I can hear some dragging sound when I turn it by hand.

So I powered it back up and it quickly went back to OVERCURRENT FAULT.

I also noticed the bolts that connect pump to Motor Mount Plate are corroded badly. I fear I have a dead pump after 1 year and 1 month.

Any suggestions?

I would also check the shaft seal (normally a ceramic spring loaded type mechanical seal). Not very hard to replace if needed, just be careful to not contaminate the ceramic surface by handling it with your hands. There are several youtube videos out there showing how to do it yourself. Part will probably be less than $20. In my opinion, the only way the motor to pump bolts corrode is if the shaft seal goes bad and starts leaking into motor side

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.