Central Texas DIY 20x44 Vinyl Liner Build Done

Ok got a question? On the prints it says finished specs "WITH 2" BASE". It shows 12' deep end wide rectangle. Did he escavate 12' 4" then after adding 2" each side came out to be 12'? Or did he escavate 12' then added the 2" cement floor/sides?
All the measurements are for finish so yes, add 2" to the dig depth. For example, the 8ft deep end was actually dug to 8' 2" from the top of the wall (more or less, hard to be that precise everywhere).

If the pool base is 1.8" or 2.5", I don't think it matters too much. You're more worried about the finished measurements

Gotcha. Thank you for the clarification.
To add some, we had two separate people do the excavation. One did the "rough" excavation with a bobcat and the second did what I call the finishing or fine excavation by hand. Both used a transit for measuring and from my perspective this is a must as it is quite accurate.

Yeah I have a transit and was planning on doing the excavation myself. I have more time than money. Lol And gotta say your post was awesome and very informative. I appreciate you. Makes me feel comfortable on tackling the project.
Thanks! That's great to hear. I'm happy to share more detailed cost info if you'd like it. But it might not even be remotely applicable to your area.

You may have seen me mention, our actual decking height ended up higher than we had anticipated. The measurements in the dig sheet are from the top of the wall but then you'll have the coping height + whatever your decking is. Example: if you're going 8ft deep you need to add the 2" for the base but also 2-3" for your coping (depends on the style and if you're doing an autocover), plus deck depth (3" concrete in our situation) so you might end up digging closer to 9ft if you want it level with existing ground.

Reactions: Warbrd2002
GREAT NEWS!!! We're getting rain!!! 2-3" so far. We desperately needed it. Haven't had any in months and it's been 100+ for probably 6-8 weeks now? I don't even know.

Bad news is because we hadn't yet gotten the liner fixed, it doesn't really do anything for us since we'll just have more to pump out now lol. And now it's dirty. Oh well, I'd way rather this than a drought.

:kim::party::whoot:20220627_180957.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband fixed the liner Tuesday and we're almost full this morning! All returns, skimmers and lights have been cut in!!

Two questions:
1. We'd like to have a patch kit on hand should we ever need it. Can anybody recommend one? (clear preferably since we can't get it in our liner pattern)
2. Any suggestions for getting all the dirt out? It feels like too much for the robot but I suppose I could babysit and clean it every 5 minutes haha. We tried brushing it all to one corner then using the submersible pump but it just wasn't getting any of it. I know the filter will help once we get it turned on but i'd like to minimize the Crud that gets in it right away

Reactions: kimkats
We'd like to have a patch kit on hand should we ever need it. Can anybody recommend one? (clear preferably since we can't get it in our liner pattern)
Save the skimmer cutouts if it's not too late for matching patches that you hopefully never need. (y)

Hang tight for glue recs
Any suggestions for getting all the dirt out?
I am sweeping mine to an area and manually vacuuming it out. Maybe pick up one of the battery operated vacs like the pool blaster max for spot cleaning as most of the yard dirt/sand will settle in the edges of the slope/bottom. Then let the robot get the fine stuff dispersed throughout. It will be an unwinnable battle with the yard torn up as more dust blows in with each gust of wind. In the time it takes to settle and get out, more has been blown in.

Also expect to need more filtering until the yard is well covered again. You'll see the dust cloud right away with the lights on at night, even after the water looks good. The smaller the area that looks like headlights in fog, the less you have to go.

You'll want any areas of exposed dirt covered in straw / grass / mulch / patio / indoor outdoor carpet asap.
20220629_212707.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KfenTx
Save the skimmer cutouts if it's not too late for matching patches that you hopefully never need. (y)

Hang tight for glue recs

I am sweeping mine to an area and manually vacuuming it out. Maybe pick up one of the battery operated vacs like the pool blaster max for spot cleaning as most of the yard dirt/sand will settle in the edges of the slope/bottom. It will be an unwinnable battle with the yard torn up as more dust blows in with each gust of wind. In the time it takes to settle and get out, more has been blown in.

Also expect to need more filtering until the yard is well covered again. You'll see the dust cloud right away with the lights on at night, even after the water looks good. The smaller the area that looks like headlights in fog, the less you have to go. View attachment 430536
AHHH! The skimmer cutouts. Duh. You're a lifesaver.

Glad i'm not the only one dealing with dirt. The grass really needs to grow back asap!! (and we need to get rid of the last dirt pile).

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm against keeping patch kits because the glue/adhesives also expire meaning they won't work as well when they aren't fresh stock so why risk it on the pool only to find out it's not really holding. Had a question some time back with a product so I called the company and spoke with a tech, why it's not working as I expected it to and he says is that new or something you had in the house. Well it was in the house and recommended I buy fresh and that's where it made all the difference. He said adhesives are not designed to lay around somewhere forever and think it'll work the same and he was right. Lesson learned.

I'm against keeping patch kits because the glue/adhesives also expire meaning they won't work as well when they aren't fresh stock so why risk it on the pool only to find out it's not really holding. Had a question some time back with a product so I called the company and spoke with a tech, why it's not working as I expected it to and he says is that new or something you had in the house. Well it was in the house and recommended I buy fresh and that's where it made all the difference. He said adhesives are not designed to lay around somewhere forever and think it'll work the same and he was right. Lesson learned.
That makes a lot of sense actually. Thanks!

I just read this whole thread. The picture of your husband and your daughter in a couple of inches of water is absolutely adorable.

• Love
Reactions: KfenTx
So you kept his tools? Bravo. :hug:

Congrats !!!!
:party:
lol no! We didn't. Put all of it in the driveway and he picked it up the next day! I haven't gotten the papers yet but I assume it's for the "balance" of the job. It's only been two weeks and never even asked for money!

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
lol no! We didn't. Put all of it in the driveway and he picked it up the next day! I haven't gotten the papers yet but I assume it's for the "balance" of the job. It's only been two weeks and never even asked for money!
You’re assuming he picked it up? It may have just been an enterprising person who saw an opportunity to add to their tool chest 🤔

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.