Census Poll on Intex Users

Hopefully the pump will make it through this season. I doubt that the (WAF) will allow for the purchase of a sand filter a SWG and an electric heater, this year. Especially after spending $100 replacing one hose! I really want the heater. it gets very cool at night here. 84 deg today and going down to 57 deg tonight. So it's really hard to keep the water temp much over 67 deg.

I'll post some pics soon.http://www.troublefreepool.com/images/icons/icon6.png

Hi there, get yourself a good solar cover to help retain the heat from the sun during the day, overnight... They really do help.... :)

Hello,

I always use a solar cover. Switched to a 12mil black one last year. It seems to help with the evaporation overnight. Unfortunately I have a number of mature oaks in the yard, so there is a good deal of shade. That's why I'm looking at a heater to take the edge off, overnight.

This will be our second time putting up our Intex metal frame 18' x 48"pool. The last time was almost 4 years ago. I feel like we are starting all over, as I do not remember anything, except for the water was always cold. We are going to look into solar panels and a solar cover for this year.

Last edited:
We're upgrading this year to a slightly bigger pool and sand filter. We had a 16x48 blue and white Intex for 5 (I think?) years and used the salt water generator the whole time. I love that thing! I'm so excited to set up the new pool, but am a bit nervous about the new sand filter. I've been reading up on those and geeking out over all the ingenious modifications I've seen here. I need to go back and check out the solar cover hangers!

Just bought a new pool, replacing the 18' easy set we had for the last 3 years. The top ring finally succumbed to the sun and more or less melted away, (kinda)
Ended up getting a Ultra 16;x48" complete with sand filter system.
Only took us 1-1/2 hours to set up, it was great! This one went together so sweet, we were amazed. The old one used to take me 2-3 hours, and lots of fiddling. This one went up, no issues.

Lots of good info on these pages.
I have been using the Intex pools for about 7 years and have loved them ever since the 1st one I purchased. I started with a smaller 8 ft round 32" deep metal pool that I picked up from Walmart in winter for 30 bucks on clearance. Best deal ever! We used that pool for 2 years and then upgraded to the 16 ft round ultra pool. I have upgraded pumps over the years and this year I now have a sand filter/2650gph pump that I will be using for the 1st time this year along with a the Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer that I purchased after reading about it on this site. So this will be the 16 ft pools 5th year in service and has been taken down every winter and stored in a very large rolling outdoor container. I hope to get another 4-5 years of service out of it, But if not then I just gotta get me a bigger one :D

One suggestion that I have for vacuuming the pool and still using cartridge filters, in order to not clog the filter really quickly I always put a piece of pantyhose over the hose and the attached the vacuum head so that the pantyhose would catch all of the big stuff before it hit the filter. Also, if you have a shoe store that has those pantyhose like socks that they let you use when you try on shoes without regular socks on, they work great and are way easier to manage then pantyhose...not to mention free :)

We bought a 18ft ultra last summer. I thought shoot why not we had'nt saved enough to get our inground pool and with 7 kids why not right! Well little did we know we'd fall in the LOVE with this pool. I have had above and inground pools before and thought maintenance would be awful with our intex. I could not have been more wrong! I added salt water system right off and never had a minutes trouble. After we started using the pool this spring we thought shoot why do we NEED and inground pool? Why put 40k in the dirt! So we made a decision and we now are waiting the arrival of our new 16/32/52 to get here. To us it seems the best of both worlds. The bigger size and trouble free maintance at steal of a price! We already installed our privacy fence and our new 15x30ft deck and 12x12 tiki bar. We need before building our deck that next year we would get the larger pool, but shoot why wait!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a question, My Intex just has a single return and power head, I'd love to add a skimmer, is this possible? I've got a 16'X48" i feel like the skimmer is going to make life easier, as will the BBB method which i'm super excited about! :cool:

I have a question, My Intex just has a single return and power head, I'd love to add a skimmer, is this possible? I've got a 16'X48" i feel like the skimmer is going to make life easier, as will the BBB method which i'm super excited about! :cool:

Hi there and Welcome :) Yes it certainly is possible.... Use the search function in the right hand top corner to search for through the wall skimmer intex and heaps of links will come up.... :) I've modded mine, as have most people on here....

YOu also might want to look at upgrading your pump and filter... That's a sub standard one you get with the intex pools.... :)

Yes I agree but it's doing something for now lol! I'm excited to do better with the pool this year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Make sure the first thing you do is purchase a test kit.... http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

You HAVE to have a decent test kit, so you don't rely on pool store testing..... Most people on here have them, even a smaller TF50 test would do, but this is the most important part of a Trouble Free Pool... :)

I posted this in another area but I think that you might like it.
Steps that I used to create my origninal pool area:
1. Choose area, use a can of marking paint to paint a circle 2' larger that your pool. ie 18' pool = a 20' circle.
2. Cut sod off and dispose of. (if you do not do this it rots and stinks terrible)
3. Attached a 4' level to a 10' 2" x 6" pegged to the middle of the circle.
4. Swing board in a circle trimming away any high spots and filling in any low spots.
5. Tamped entire area with a hand tamper. (lots of work, rent a plate compactor it goes alot faster and not as hard on the back and shoulders.)
6. Put down 1 1/2" or 2" styrofoam (the pink stuff). Tape the seams with Gorilla tape. Cover it all with a HD tarp. (don't use the tarp that they send with the pool, get a good HD one)
7. Setup pool, place 1 1/2" or 2" pavers/patio blocks under the legs.
8. Fill pool with 2-3" of water and smooth all wrinkles out.
9. Fill up the pool with the rest of the water.
10. Test water with your new TFTest kit (you did order one right?) use results on The Pool Calculator and add BBB (if needed) to your Pool.
ENJOY THE POOL!!!!
Mike
PS, I did eliminate a few steps. Like go to store buy beer. Go to store buy AsperCreme for the aching muscles. Go to store buy more beer. LOL
PS here are some pics of my build last year,
http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss119/mcoonan/Pool/
I will be updating the pics this weekend as I now have installed a skimmer and some more plumbing.

THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!!!
:cheers:

Do you dig the pavers in when using the styrofoam?

I've had the same intex ultra 16x48 for 4 or 5 years. It's starting to get a little rust on it but think I have another year or two out of it. I am planning on going back with another intex, most likely one of the rectangular ones.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.