Census Poll on Intex Users

POOLSKIM QUESTION: We still have the OEM pump that came with our Intex and I just dropped $100 on a PoolSkim. I've spent about an hour reviewing the forums and checking PoolSkim's 'tips' area of their site for how to rig this thing for our Intex. DH is going to be the one doing it, so I want to have all the parts, etc. ready to go for him.

Has anyone done a PoolSkim hack? If so, can you shoot me a link to where you found your instructions? For the life of me I can't find the right information.

As an aside, I've noticed people saying that when they upgraded their pumps, it was easier to skim by hand. Maybe I should return this thing and put the $100 toward a new pump? Suggestions appreciated.

Also going to add our mods for this second year:

1. After taking the pool down last fall, we used the old solar cover from WalMart as a cover for the sand base area over the winter. It kept the neighborhood cats (and my kids) from digging in the sand.

2. After removing the cover, we leveled and added the sand that was leftover from last year (DH stored it in an old garbage can).

3. The original ground cloth that was included with the pool was laughable; it started coming apart within a month. We bought four heavy-duty, UV-resistant 8x10 tarps from Hope Depot, removed the grommets that would be underneath the liner, overlapped them slightly, and they are under the pool liner.

4. The heavy-duty A-frame pool ladder we bought doesn't fit with the regular cover (my solar cover is on backorder; surprise) so it has to come out when we cover the pool. We're thinking about making some sort of a 'flap' cut in the liner where the ladder goes, then gorilla-taping so it doesn't tear.

reagan said:
ddamrill said:
We have 2 boys 14 and 7 and I have drilled into their heads "you pee in my pool I pee on you" hey it's what my dad told us and I never did it... I set out a small pail mixed with bleach in the corner of the yard they pee on it...:) hey it works...

This is hilarious! My kids are 4, 6 and 8 and the boys get to pee on the compost pile since our yard is privacy-fenced. The poor girl has to strip and go inside every time. :wink:

Same here- Boys behind the shed, Girls inside.

We started 6 years ago, or so, with a 16 x 42" easy set for 2 years, then the 18 x 48 easy set for 4 years (still good, donating to BIL), and we just upgraded to the 18 x 48" ultra frame. I wanted a bigger one, but my husband was not willing to redo the platform he made for the 18', so we have to stick with the same diameter. Overall I am pleased so far, excet with the ladder. I had wanted to purchase the SWG soon, but find the need for the ladder upgrade more pressing. I have started using the liquid chlorine since joining the forum, and may try the rest of the system after I study it a bit. I am glad I found this forum!

I never posted here since joining.

Like others said, I've upgraded over the years as the kids got older. We live in the middle of nowhere and they filled in the only local public pool years ago. The pool in the backyard is the summer life of my kids (as opposed to me growing up in a small city and my bike was my summer life.)

Of course started out with the little baby pools. A shallow 8 foot Intex Easy was the first Intex. Upgraded after 2 years to a 12' x 30" metal frame Intex. Ran with that one for about 3 years. My 8 year old started out last year with excitement, "Dad! I put my face in the water, watch this!" as she barely splashes her face down in the water for a fraction of a second. A week later we are at Myrtle Beach and I am walking into the 0 walk-in pool at the hotel. We reach a few feet deep and she disappears. She pops back up over at the side in the 5 foot end about 10 feet away!

Sounds like it's time for a new pool. Problem was, we went on vacation. No vacation this year, so here we are now with our final pool size upgrade with the Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame. Finished up the digging and put the pool up Memorial weekend. Pool is sparkling clear, chemistry looks great thanks to reading this forum, yet we haven't even been in the pool due to the sweltering temperatures of high 60's the past 2 weeks.

Will finally get to get into the pool this weekend I'm hoping.

My pool is going to be delivered TODAY!!! I'm so excited!!

I bought the 24' metal frame from doheny's, it was the best deal because even though wally-world had them cheaper, the shipping was outrageous.

It looks like the new metal frames come with a better pump than the old style. It's the Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump.

We have a very sloped yard, so we had a guy with a bobcat come level it. It was almost 3 feet out of level, but looked flat to the naked eye. The kids think that big dirt pile he made is fantastic -- wait till they see the pool!!

I have 5 kids, and a stepdaughter that visits every summer, so we are looking forward to this big time!

Hi everyone!! I also have an Ultra Frame pool..16 x 48..loving it and oh by the way..I really enjoyed those beautiful pictures..thanks for sharing! I decorated my pool with a stone border and small white stones around around it, some potted plants...nothing as nice as that deck and oh my that slide is awesome!!! I'll try and figure out how to post some of my pics here too. Love this site!

Hi everyone :-D

New here! This is my 2nd summer with an intex pool. Last year I bought the 10ft X 30 in. Loved every single minute of it! We lost it during Hurricane Irene in late August. Pool flooded and the inflated ring at the top couldn't withstand the water pressure from all of the rain.

Just put up a 12ft X 36 intex (again with the inflatable top).

I ran into some trouble last year and again this year (why I didn't remember what happened last summer!!!) we have old pipes that connect to our outside hose and unfortunately have iron. The water right now looks like murky iced tea and it was just filled last night.

I am going to try the white cotton sock trick and hope that works.

My 3 year old is dying to get into the pool!!

Last year had a 10' easy set and just got done setting up a 12'x36" ultra frame. Love this pool and so does my 4year old. Perfect depth for her.
Here's a pic.
IMAG1738.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I started with an EasySet 8 foot for a season or two, then up to a 15 foot Easy Set and now my 21 foot AquaLeader that was the demo pool at the PS.now I have a deck that wraps three sides. Intex was a good start but I feel the cartridges are a joke.

:goodjob: We got the 20' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame
went from the 10' x 30" Easy set up.
:? We went ahead and set it up with two heavy duty tarps
underneath & foam that goes under the carpet (two layers mind you & taped together)
We set it up and love it.\
We used the landscapers black plastic border
and placed around the circumference of the pool.
Then layed ground up leaves/mulch around it.

This will do until we get a deck built around it.
Just got a better ladder from a friend and will be ready to use
the more heavy duty ladder rather than the
dinky Intex :rant: ladder that comes with these pools.

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 288
We have the Intex 12' x 36" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool, Last year we had just a 8' easy up pool.
Wow what a difference between the two. My daughter has been in it almost everyday since we put it it up two weeks ago. Nothing special has been done to it other than adding the Intex clamp on skimmer to it. Pool has been clear and clean. Adding some fence to it this week for a little privacy for it and such. We live in Maine so it will have to come down at the end of the season and we plan on doing some landscaping and stuff too it along with a small deck next year. But for this year we just are going to enjoy it.

Keith

We finally took the plunge! Got our 1st pool. Intex Ultra Frame 18'x52". So far, I love it. Now I just have to learn to keep it clean. Glad to find this site. Only problem ... our weather has been uncooperative now. Rainy & cool. Bah!

Re: Census Poll on Intex Users heating ur pool

I know its a tad early exspecially in Minnesota! but what else can ya do when its -10 outside then to think of warmer days to come.... I want to heat our pool this summer and would like to get as many ideas as I can. Too bad Intex wont make a heater for us in the USA or Canada yet, so until they do, what have you done to heat your pool? Once the pool gets warm after many warm days the solar cover keeps it warm but I want to use it sooner this yr so please give me your ideas Thanks!

I'd love to see an blog just for Intex pool owners! I have a 16' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame pool, already had a great season and looking forward to another one soon. I live in Florida, so I didn't take it down, just covered it up, keeping the salt level up and that's about it. Water is still clear and clean, but COLD! brrrrr... Can't wait until May..should be warm enough to take my first dip! Yay~

Been reading through the posts hoping to find some help with a skimmer. We had an 18x52 Intex pool for several years. This year I purchased a 22x52 ultra-frame pool. I was surprised to find that it didn't come with a skimmer. Some of the past posts that I thought would be helpful no longer have pictures available. I'd really like to know if anyone has used the Poolskim skimmer and how they managed to connect it. I also considered putting in an in-wall skimmer if anyone has any information on it.

Come on people!! It's May. Let's get some chatter on here!!!

nettak said:
Been reading through the posts hoping to find some help with a skimmer. We had an 18x52 Intex pool for several years. This year I purchased a 22x52 ultra-frame pool. I was surprised to find that it didn't come with a skimmer. Some of the past posts that I thought would be helpful no longer have pictures available. I'd really like to know if anyone has used the Poolskim skimmer and how they managed to connect it. I also considered putting in an in-wall skimmer if anyone has any information on it.

Come on people!! It's May. Let's get some chatter on here!!!

We had a skimmer that came with our pool and it works like a charm. so I cant help you on the poolskim skimmer. We have had a very cold crappy spring here in MN. Just a few days ago we had frost!!! UGH so we aren't even close to putting our pool up. =( but there is hope.... its forecasted to be 94 today! one extreme to the next!

I have the skimmer that came with the Intex pool and it works just fine. I added a skimmer "sock" to add in the basket of the skimmer to keep all the junk from going into the filter...water sparkles after an hour of skimming the surface - taking out all those darn love bugs down here this time of year, along with beetles and other wonderful bugs flying around during the day. My second season with intex products...so far so good! I had to buy a new vacuum tho..the one that came with the pool isn't good for vacuuming silt on the bottom...good for small leaves (it's basically a syphon). Have a great summer everyone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.