Census Poll on Intex Users

foster400 said:
js

that is some great water flow.

I made a seperate thread awhile back about a modification to the intake side of our intex pools. After running this I can say that my water clarity has improved dramatically. I didnt even think about posting it in this thread, probably should have.

intex-pools-this-is-how-to-run-the-skim-and-main-together-t25132.html

yes, and i read that. it is a very good modification and i'm thinking about doing that along with a thru the wall skimmer. very good ideas being brought forth for our type of pools! :whoot: :cheers:

My wife bought this light the other day. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-LED-Pool-Wall-Light/13038093 I am pretty impressed with it. It really lights up nice. Not super bright on the other side of the pool, but it is a real nice shade of blue all over the pool. Not as bright as that picture on the link shows. I put the (outter) base unit under one of the vinyl straps near one of the legs to keep it from falling if/when the light gets knocked off of the magents that hold it.

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum and this is my first post here. First off, a tip of the hat to the hosts, admins and moderators who have produced this excellent resource for us all. Secondly, thanks to the great community who have provided me hours of great reading tips.

I bought an 18' x 54" Intex Ultra Frame and it has been patiently waiting in its box (along with the kids) for me to prep the yard. My yard is already fairly level, but I have a couple questions before I begin:

• My yard varies in height from high to low by about an inch, how level does it have to be if I plan to use styrofoam?

The roots and soil in my yard are quite old (several years), some weeds, grass, etc. Should I kill the vegetation first?
    I plan to use a 10 mil tarp, then styrofoam, then another tarp on top of that.

Ideas For Heating Your Pool
I've seen a lot of people brainstorm on ways to heat their pools, especially in colder climates. I personally live in the Northwest. From what I have read, styrofoam helps quite a bit to insulate the pool bottom from the earth. I think I've found a somewhat slow (2-3 days), but efficient way to do so at the expense of a bit of electrical wiring, and slight electric bill increase, that may appeal to some of you. Install a tankless water heater like used in RVs and at point-of-use in homes. This is the one I chose because it is only 110V and appears it can work with lower amperage circuits as well.

Next, I purchased a thick solar blanket like this one. This should also help in not only heating the pool, but reducing evaporation at night when the wind crosses the surface.

Other Purchases
Lastly I bought the Intex Saltwater System, but I hear that most are either buying the integrated saltwater+pump system or upgrading their pumps.

In preparation, I recently bought a Black & Decker Cultivator to help bust up the soil a bit to remove the grass. My yard is pretty dry, compact, and has largely been neglected by the previous home owner (and admittedly a bit by myself lately). I managed to chew up about 1/5th of the pool ground area before the battery started losing it's ability to keep up. Does anyone make a plug-in pack that can snap in place of the battery for these tools? That'd be awesome! Looks like it'll be a long process, but for $100 at your hardware store, it sure beats renting a sod cutter and having to rent a truck/trailer to unload it. Best of all, I get to keep something out of the $100 spent.

Please share your feedback, thoughts, comments, etc. I really hope someone can benefit from the suggestions above, and I hope keep learning more from you all as well!

welcome! :wave: this thread is kinda us intex owners own little community get together! there have been some great ideas brought to light here. everything you mentioned are very good things to do. the ground prep is very important. get it as level as possible and free of rocks and debris. mine is off 1-2'' on one end but it has not been a problem. i can highly recommend the SWG and the intex sand filter. both have been great for me. my water has stayed perfect!
i cant comment on the heating stuff as i live in south ga and don't really have a need for it. but i'm sure someone will chime in with expertise on that part of it. welcome again! :wave: :whoot: :cheers:

Hello Mike

I second jsf on getting the ground as level a possible. being a 1/2" to 1" off would not be detrimental. Having a good foundation is the most important step so make it as best as you can. I would use a turf killer in the area to be sure you kill all the roots and then you can scalp it with your mower. That would make breaking up the dirt and leveling much easier. I too dont have a problem with heat as my pool has been in the high 80's since May. I do make 60 pound ice blocks in my deep freezer to help cool the pool at night.

One of the biggest issues with smaller Intex type pools is the lack of a way to really vacuum. I stumbled across something today that my help. The guy at this link http://www.levelgroundpool.com/pool-vacuum.html figured out a way to vacuum with items you probably already have around the house.

One thing I would suggest is in item 4 it would probably be easier to hold the vacuum end up to your return to get the water flowing out of the discharge end. This is not an ideal solution, but the price is right.

Not sure if I should post this in a new thread, or continue with the random Intex matters here -- so here it stays! What have you done in the past or do you plan to do at the end of the year in terms of storage? I just have a regular two stall garage -- no sheds, outbuildings, etc. I'm planning to buy 2 50 gallon trash cans on wheels and hope the frame pieces all fit in one and the liner in the other. Anyone else have ideas about how to store this monster in the off-season?

Also, I've read to put talc in it before you fold it up, but that seems like a mess for install the next year -- anyone done that or not done that in the past who can comment on if it is necessary and/or the mess it seems like it might be?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
crek31 said:
Not sure if I should post this in a new thread, or continue with the random Intex matters here -- so here it stays! What have you done in the past or do you plan to do at the end of the year in terms of storage? I just have a regular two stall garage -- no sheds, outbuildings, etc. I'm planning to buy 2 50 gallon trash cans on wheels and hope the frame pieces all fit in one and the liner in the other. Anyone else have ideas about how to store this monster in the off-season?

Also, I've read to put talc in it before you fold it up, but that seems like a mess for install the next year -- anyone done that or not done that in the past who can comment on if it is necessary and/or the mess it seems like it might be?

this is exactly what i plan on doing. 2 large plastic trash cans w/lids one for frame and one for liner. i read somewhere maybe on this forum i cant remember but the talc ended up being kinda messy the next season when they unpacked the liner.

Wow, This vacuum is great!! I just bought the AQUA EZ small pool vacuum system at Lowe's for $49. It comes with everthing and will work with INTEX pools. The hose connects to the intake connector with included adapter for any intex. I have the 16'round ultra frame and it Works great. :party:

The pool went up today. Finally starting to take shape.

Unfortunately I was unable to get heavy equipment into my back yard to dig out a nice 18 foot circle, but the ground was already fairly level aside from some lumpiness. I am hoping that the 2" styrofoam I put up will suck up some of the lumps.

In the photo below, I sprayed Ortho GroundClear, laid weed blocking fabric, dropped and taped 2" styrofoam, laid the factory pool tarp, then set it up. Lastly I will have to cut square holes to drop the pavers into for supporting the pool legs.

There's still a lot of wrinkles in it since we didn't have much sun by the time I got around to it. I hadn't attempted to fill it up yet until it spends some time in the sun.

Aside from not aligning the legs, does anyone foresee any potential problems before I unload 7,000 gallons of water into it? :)

ErI2x.jpg

TwinTurboMike,
Did you cut away the grass/sod before you laid down anything? The reason I ask is if you did not, in about 2 weeks you will not be able to get anywhere near the pool because of the smell. The grass/sod starts rotting and the smell is unbearable. I know, I did it with my 1st 2 pools, before I discovered that the smell was coming from the sod and not the pool.
Mike

Hi Everybody!

Have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread previous to installing our new 16' X48. It was the kit that comes with the 1500 gph filter pump, cover, ladder, etc.

We set it up Saturday morning and with the combination of the city water and our well, had it filled in about 7 hours or so. We have the SWG set up and I added 120# of the Morton pool salt. It says to wait 24 hours before using the SWG after adding salt, but after about 4 hours and the kids moving the water around VERY well, I figured it was certainly well dissolved. The water had a pretty good tinge of green and it was getting dark out. So I turned the SWG on and initially set it for 4 hours. After 4 hours, I ran the Boost cycle which allowed it to run all night and well into the next day. The next morning, the water was crystal clear, I could NOT believe it! It ran for only 4 hours last night, but after doing water tests, I've found that the chlorine doesn't even register and I've got a high Ph level.

So while the water is clear, I am concerned that I'm not getting the chlorine level up there. It's Monday morning and I just turned on the boost cycle again. Should I just keep running the SWG and let it sort out or should I give it some chemical help?

Kids are really enjoying the pool, although we haven't had a good, sunny day to warm it up. But it's sunny today and here in easter NC, it'll be sure to become too warm in no time!

Thanks for any advice!

Howard

mcoonan said:
TwinTurboMike,
Did you cut away the grass/sod before you laid down anything? The reason I ask is if you did not, in about 2 weeks you will not be able to get anywhere near the pool because of the smell. The grass/sod starts rotting and the smell is unbearable. I know, I did it with my 1st 2 pools, before I discovered that the smell was coming from the sod and not the pool.
Mike

I did cut away as much as I could but it wasn't completely removed. I shaved it down with the mower as close as I could get, and raked out as much as possible, short of the right tools to really get in there and dig it out. To note, the grass was already very dry in that area since I had applied GroundClear to the whole area (twice for good measure) to kill everything off. There was little to no green to rot away.

I certainly hope I don't encounter any issues like you had described, because that's a lot of water to have to drain. :)

Howard (UpTheCreek) I'm by no means an expert, but it sounds like all of the chlorine from the SWG was used up sanitizing the water from the bather load. Remember SWG slowly add chlorine. As I understand it, SWG's are usually used to help maintain an FC level by slowly adding it. If you didn't have any to start with, its probably getting used up as its getting made.

Actually, its probably best if you post your concern in the getting started forum, that way a mod or at least a more knowledgeable person can give you some better advice and there isn't any danger of hijacking this thread.

Puffin said:
Howard (UpTheCreek) I'm by no means an expert, but it sounds like all of the chlorine from the SWG was used up sanitizing the water from the bather load. Remember SWG slowly add chlorine. As I understand it, SWG's are usually used to help maintain an FC level by slowly adding it. If you didn't have any to start with, its probably getting used up as its getting made.

Actually, its probably best if you post your concern in the getting started forum, that way a mod or at least a more knowledgeable person can give you some better advice and there isn't any danger of hijacking this thread.

Thanks Puffin, what you say makes a lot of sense. I'll post on the other forum.

Thanks a lot!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.