Hello pros. First post.

Quick run down:

• Pool is small 9000 gal
  • Heated
  • Salt
  • Hayward T-3 cell
  • Hayward Aquarite panel
  • Age unknown
I noticed the water was starting to green a bit. Heavy Texas sun and Tropical Storm Nicholas seems to have diluted the water. Did a quick taste test and no salt was detected at all. Checked panel and it shows 2400 so obviously low. I don't have a testing kit so I went to my local pool place for a test and they said it maxed out their salt level meter. They estimated over 7000. Very odd. When my system is running at optimum 2800-ish I could taste a little salt. Currently it was just water. I cleaned the cell per the usual acid/water ratio and it kept reading 2400.

I said screw it and went and put 3x 40lbs salt into the water. I'm not 100% sure how long it takes for the panel to update the salt level but after over an hour it now show 2500. The green light for generating chlorine is on as well as super chlorine since I flipped the switch to super. The red "check salt" light is still on so I doubt it's actually generating chlorine.

Do you pros think the cell's salt detection meter is dead in the water? (1st of many puns). How long does the T3 cell and panel take to report accurate salt readings?

Any tip is much appreciated

Hey ULY !!! I was about to welcome you on your intro thread, so lemme kill 2 birds here. :wave:

I'm kinda surprised because for all the pool store is awful at testing, they are moderately decent with salt, usually within about 500. Definitely NOT off by 5000. Also, you should totally taste 7k. Not as strong as the ocean, but still.

So I would tend to believe you that it tastes like plain water and chalk the pool store up to a faulty test meter. Unless you had Covid and your taste is still off like many have reported. (Or some similar medical explanation).

*shameless plug for your own reliable test kit* case and point. :poke:
(The TF-100 is amazing and actually cheaper than the K-2006C at the moment). You also need the k-1766 salt test. Also, If you are ever going to spend $30 on your pool, the smart stir is hands down the best thing you could buy. It makes the testing soooooooooo easy. Anywho you can't get a reading from your taste buds, and the pool store not knowing brought you here....... so. Lol. Get a good kit.
Do you pros think the cell's salt detection meter is dead in the water?
That's tricky. Any guess at all to age ? The replacement parts are much better than a new unit but it would suck to throw a couple hundred bucks at a 10 year old unit. Flip it over and check for a date or date code.
(1st of many puns)
Please keep them coming. I've made a career of them. :)
How long does the T3 cell and panel take to report accurate salt readings
Usually a full day with the pump running. It dissolves pretty quick but could be crazy concentrated in some spots and not mixed in others.

Hey ULY !!! I was about to welcome you on your intro thread, so lemme kill 2 birds here. :wave:

I'm kinda surprised because for all the pool store is awful at testing, they are moderately decent with salt, usually within about 500. Definitely NOT off by 5000. Also, you should totally taste 7k. Not as strong as the ocean, but still.

So I would tend to believe you that it tastes like plain water and chalk the pool store up to a faulty test meter. Unless you had Covid and your taste is still off like many have reported. (Or some similar medical explanation).

(The TF-100 is amazing and actually cheaper than the K-2006C at the moment). You also need the k-1766 salt test. Also, If you are ever going to spend $30 on your pool, the smart stir is hands down the best thing you could buy. It makes the testing soooooooooo easy. Anywho you can't get a reading from your taste buds, and the pool store not knowing brought you here....... so. Lol. Get a good kit.

That's tricky. Any guess at all to age ? The replacement parts are much better than a new unit but it would suck to throw a couple hundred bucks at a 10 year old unit. Flip it over and check for a date or date code.

Usually a full day with the pump running. It dissolves pretty quick but could be crazy concentrated in some spots and not mixed in others.
Well for sure when I get home from school tomorrow I will look for a date on that thing. Ima let the thing run all night so hopefully it will give a more accurate reading soon. I'll reply woth an answer hopefully it has some marking on it somewhere.

Reactions: Newdude
My pool store has always been low when I compare my TF test to theirs. Apparently they are trying to sell salt, which has doubled in price over the last year.
They also (which I dont understand) have been completely HIGH on their CYA tests. Maybe it is because they want to sell me CYA?
Don't trust them. Get a test kit. Post results the great people here will help you.

Well I think I'm going to need a new cell. It was reading 3000 earlier before I took off to school and now it reads 800. Found one online for like $350. I'm going to send the link to my dad so he can place an order on it

While u sort things out with your cell you need to chlorinate your water to prevent a swampy mess.
Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily (pour slowly in front of a return) until you get a tf100/tfpro salt or Taylor k2006c +salt kit.
You mentioned algae so a SLAM Process is likely in your future once u get accurate test results.
You can post them here to keep things together
PoolMath can help u calculate additions 😁

Reactions: Newdude
Hello guys

Well just a quick recap:

Pool 9000gal salt pool, Hayward T3 Aquarite
Was reading salt too low
Added salt until it was good
Went and got water tested
They tell me 6000 plus salt level
Check my panel, shows 700 salt too low
Installed NEW hayward T3 cell
Obviously read salt too high
Let off a bunch of water, added fresh
Panel reads too low 1700
Went to get water tested, they say 6300

What the heck!!!

Is my panel bad too?
Is there a calibration process
Panel set to the proper T3 setting

I have no clue

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool is 9000gal
Hayward Aquarite T3 cell

I purchased a brand new cell.

I performed the salt calibration

I purchased my own salt level checker

I show 4000+ salt level but despite the salt calibration on the panel, it only shows a current reading of 600

Any idea what to do next?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.