Cell life - Runtime vs Load // and CYA levels

Benji

Sep 18, 2021
Houston, TX
Good day all-

Recently installed a circupool edge 25, and I have a few questions due to seeing some conflicting info on the forum....

Question 1: What determines the life of a SWG cell? Is it gross hours run (regardless of percentage) or do the plates just have a total lifetime chlorine output and once that is reached then the cell is dunzo? Ie What is the effect on cell life running it at 10% for 10 hours a day vs running at 100% for an hour a day if it roughly produced the same amount of chlorine during both scenarios? pls ignore other factors like filtering time

Question 2: Why is TFP recommending higher CYA levels for SWG vs manual chlorine? I know the canned answer is going to be CYA protects chlorine and you'll have less chlorine loss and you can have longer cell life... but this doesn't make much sense to me given TFP also recognizes FC should be a % of CYA due to chlorine lock. What am I achieving by raising my CYA level to require higher FC levels to overcome chlorine lock with a SWG? I'm really having a hard time understanding why my CYA should be 80 instead of 40 and I should maintain higher levels of essentially unavailable chlorine in the pool.

Tks, Ben

Hey Ben !!!

1) it's flat hours 'on'. The name brands get around 10k hours of use. 12 hours of 100% is the same as 24 hours of 50%, it's 12 hours on either way. Or maths however you want. :)

2) the swg adds a little FC at a time, spread over a long time. It basically keeps the pool topped off for sanitizing with little fluctuation.

Bleach users spike the FC with a single dose and it drifts down from there, needing to stay above minimum until tomorrow's dose,

The edge is a little different then most, when you go to 50% power it’s not cycling on and off but actually produces half power 24/7.
I have the Edge 40 and wonder the same thing. I don’t know if full power is any different then 30% as far as cell life.

But I also came to the understanding we bought it so use it as needed and don’t worry about it :)

The edge is a little different then most, when you go to 50% power it’s not cycling on and off but actually produces half power 24/7.
Which depletes the plates at half the rate and effectively is the same thing from a lifespan perspective. Different but the same. (y)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.