Perfection, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
I have recently installed my CircuPool swcg. The cell is mounted vertically, flow switch downstream. Both swcg and pump are connected to the same time switch, but with a vs pump I just run it 24/7. I have been considering adding a current sensor system as a safety to prevent the swcg from running in case the pump were to fail, clog, or just stop. While doing some typical backflush, etc. I realized that the system drains down when the pump stops - no check valves in the suction line. That's when the light bulb lit - with the cell dry and no water to conduct any current, even if the flow switch fails closed, without water there is no chlorine or hydrogen gas production. Would there be any damage to either the cell or the power head if the current was on while the cell was dry?

Your system should not drain when the pump turns off. That implies an air leak somewhere.

You never want the SWCG powered without water flow, water in it or not.

As your surmised, Marty, I had a small suction leak at a coupling in front of the pump intake. Now I'm considering how to rewire to accommodate a ct and interposing relay on a small current draw vs pump. Not that it is difficult, just having to work in a tight space with little room.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.