Cell Compatibility

Seadweller

Aug 21, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
Greetings, wondering if anyone "in-the-know" can clarify a question on cell compatibility. There's a very common system on the market that's being re-branded by a number of companies (I have the CircuPool Universal 40). I've tracked down the manufacturer of this unit, and their description of the cell indicates that it works both on their unit, and as a direct replacement for the Hayward T15 cell. There's a lot of generic T15 cells out there, with prices ranging from $239 to $399, and I have a suspicion they're made by only a handful of manufacturers, to what seem to be identical specs. Of course the company branding the system will tell you only their branded cell will work, but if that was the case, there'd be no market for generic cells.

Does anyone know if if the T15 cell, and its generic equivalents, will work on all of these identical systems?

Someone will chime in on the compatibility but if you go that route, you also need to compare the longevity of the two units. Some generics use smaller plates inside which makes them cheaper but also depletes the expensive plates much sooner. So you can save upfront and be replacing it again in 2-3 years.

Indeed, knock on wood, my CircuPool cell has lasted over 5 years and hasn't missed a beat. I just had a chat with CircuPool and asked them to be candid with me, and they did indicate that any T15 compatible cell will work my my particular system, so that opens up a lot of options.

Generic T-15 Cell Replacements

Some people have had good experiences and saved money by buying a rebuilt cell or a generic cell. Look for a company that rebuilds using high quality USA parts just like the original Hayward cell and specializes in rebuilding high quality electronics.

Be aware of the following issues buying the generic cells:
  • The warranty is usually less, 2 years compared to 3 years for the OEM cell.
  • The lifespan of generic cells are usually rated for less hours than the OEM cells, hence the shorter warranty times.
  • To make a warranty claim you have to deal with shipping and all that goes with buying it online with a generic cell. With a OEM cell you can take it to an authorized dealer and they will replace it right then and there if it is a bad cell.
A member in the generic cell business warns about offshore companies "implying their cells are equal to the OEM but plates are only good for 3000 hours. (Because how would a buyer know...I've always had 7000 hr cells and Hayward is 10K). Misidentifying imported products to get around or reduce tariffs. Ordering one branded cell and receiving a different brand or even a different model and calling it a free upgrade. Offering ridiculous 5 or 7 year prorated warranties with no disclosure as to what the pro-rations are or that they are based upon some mythical MSRP. Unable to make a warranty claim because no one answers the phone, English is not their first language, or the warranty center is overseas. Their goal is to make you give up"

Reactions: Newdude
Somewhere in the archives is my first posts here on TFP asking just that very question... What was basically relayed to me is use the warranty as a gauge for the quality of the replacement cell. And if I had a good experience with the first Hayward cell, why not get another... so I did. After more info became available I'm glad I did... and Allen summarizes it well. The challenge then was insuring I was getting an actual Hayward Cell and not a alternate model/brand. For a couple extra bucks more I think its worth it.

I replaced my pentair IC60 at the beginning of this season before seeing this info here. I found the generics at the time for about $200 cheaper. When i spread that over the 6.5 year life of my original i figured it wasnt worth the risk for only $30 a year in savings. Learning the info that Allen just shared after the fact only confirmed my ignorant hunch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.