Cedar Hot Tub EasyTouch Heating System

berga610

Jun 10, 2021
Reno, NV
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm building a gas heating/automation system for my cedar hot tub. Functionality needed is super basic -- I want a 2-speed pump to run occasionally throughout the day to filter water, and to activate the heater to maintain temperature (when temp is below set point). When I'm using the tub, I want to be able to press the "jets" button to engage the high speed of the pump.

Yesterday I ordered an EasyTouch 4 and a Raypak 106a (expensive day!).
  • Will I be able to program this kind of behavior with the EasyTouch?
  • The Raypak 106a does not have remote control, but it does have an input for a Fireman's Switch. Will the EasyTouch be able to activate the heater using this input?
  • I haven't chosen a pump yet. Can I choose either 115v or 230v? It seems like I can choose either option, and will install either 1 or 2 breakers in the EasyTouch.
  • It seems like the common place to install the water temperature sensor is inside one of the lines. Obviously this will cool relatively quickly and be inaccurate. How do I deal with that? Program the pump to turn on for 5 mins every 2 hours to poll for temperature..?
Thanks a lot guys, I know what was a lot...IMG_8563.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
B,

I use my EasyTouch to control my standalone spa and it works great.. In your case it should be easier as all your equipment will be outside the spa itself.

The EasyTouch uses the fireman's switch to control the heater....

It does not matter what voltage pump you use..

If you use a 2-speed pump you will need to buy and install a 2-speed relay in the EasyTouch.

In your case, I would want the temp probe to be installed in the hot tub and not in the external plumbing.

If I were doing this I would install a Pentair SuperFlo VS pump as it can be controlled by the EasyTouch via an RS-485 inputs... This would allow you to run at a very low speed when just sitting there, increase speeds if the heater needed to come on, and full speed for the jets. Note.. The pump must be manufactured in 2021 for this mode to work.. (Older SuperFlo pumps will not work.)

And.. since I am spending your money... I'd go with a salt water spa...

Keep in mind that hot tubs need to be drained every three or four months...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I love the idea of a variable speed pump! I'm concerned about being able to verify the pump I buy was actually made post-2021 though. In the event that I actually receive a pre-2021 model, I could still achieve 3-speed operation using the EasyTouch though, right? By using a single relay for each speed? It looks like there's a "digital input" on the motor for each speed setting which can be 5-30vac/vdc, which I assume could be taken off the ET board and passed through a relay?

With regards to the heater/fireman's switch, am I correct in understanding that the heater will be powered with 230v continuously, and when the EasyTouch calls for heat, it opens the Fireman's switch? (allowing the heater to activate). Then I just crank the analog dial on the heater to max and let the ET do the switching on and off to maintain temp by closing/opening the fireman's switch?

So it could look like this:
Relay 1: "circulation" speed on motor
Relay 2: "heating" speed on motor
Relay 3: "jets" speed on motor
Fireman's switch: wired to heater
Motor: wired to 230v continuously
Heater: wired to 230v continuously

Last edited:
B,

You will not be happy with using relays to control the VS pump.. The EasyTouch is designed around the using the RS-485 com port to control a VS pump. No relays are involved and it a much smoother process. If you can get a newer SuperFlo VS.

That said, your logic above is correct.. for an older SuperFlo VS.

Basically, the EasyTouch tells the pump to run at a speed that you have assigned to that pool/spa status..

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK, it appears that buying a pump under P/N 342002 is the newest model number that includes RS-485. It's about $1000, so I'm trying to convince myself it's worth it. The alternative is a 2-speed pump for $450, or an older SuperFlo for $700.

Looking at the instruction manual, the RS-485 connection is only 2 wires. So no need to purchase the fancy wiring kit, correct? "RS-485 Automation Kit (P/N 356324Z - Black)"

B,

I am not sure that the RS-485 cable will fit the plug on the new SuperFlo VS.. My understanding was they only use two of the wires in the old "fancy" cable.. But I don't know that for sure.

I'd ask Pentair if the cables are interchangeable. The IntelliFlo comes with the RS-485 cable, so I am surprised that the new SuperFlo VS does not also come with a cable.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.