CC has been zero since opening?

Aug 10, 2016
Boston, MA
Hi,

I opened our pool last week, and added about 12 gallons of 12.5% shock. The next day, I checked CC and it was 0. I then vac'd the pool, and let it sit about a week. Today, I checked chemistry again, and the CC is still 0... Is this normal?

Test results as follows for today:

FC: 1.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.4
TA: 50
CH: 10
CYA: ~40

I just want to confirm that this is typical, and that my tests are not incorrect. Using a Taylor K-2006 kit that was purchased last august.

Thanks!!

Welcome! Zero CC is the ideal - as explained here in PoolSchool, please read.
As a general guide, here are the TFP recommended levels, also in PoolSchool.
The BIG thing your numbers RED FLAG is that your FC is too low for your CYA level. You need to add enough regular bleach or that liquid shock (same chemical just stronger concentration) to get your FC between 5-7 if your pool is crystal clear perfection or if it is not, get your FC up to 16 and follow this SLAM procedure to get to crystal clear.
None of those take long to read, please read them when you can.
Lastly, this page shows you how to add things like pool size and vinyl/plaster to your signature to help us know things like if your CH is perfect or a big problem.

Very cool! CC are destroyed by FC and more significantly sunlight. It's only when you don't have enough FC to keep things clean that CC really take off. Even in a great TFP, you'll still generate maybe 0.01 - 0.5 of CC overnight just sanitizing whatever blew into the pool before the daytime sunlight (or more FC) burns them off, so to speak. It is when CC is greater than 0.5, or 0.5 at the end of a full day of sun perhaps, or always 0.5 maybe, that we see that as a constant undesirable battle going on that is wasting a lot of FC, so we SLAM it away. If the water is crystal clear, your FC is in target for your CYA, you're losing 2-4ppm of FC per day, these are indications of a really healthy pool. An OCLT is pretty much the gold standard of answering, "is my pool healthy?"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.