Cautionary Tale of a Pool, Fed Up, Frustrated, Lost & Sinking In The Deep End!

Re: Cautionary Tale of a Pool, Fed Up, Frustrated, Lost & Sinking In The Deep End!

If you haven't added the baking soda/borax yet, I would suggest you add it in smaller increments and test each time. Since you aren't sure how low it actually is below 7.0, you don't want to add too much and overshoot it. If you do overshoot it. its not end of world since you can add back some acid. However, it helps prevent the ping pong back and forth when you are trying to get ph in the 7s.

Re: Cautionary Tale of a Pool, Fed Up, Frustrated, Lost & Sinking In The Deep End!

Okay, so heres the update,

tested and tested, and shocked and tested, and just could not get the water to clear up. I bought a Kreepy Krawly and put it to work and it kept clogging up after 4-5 minutes. It just couldnt stay moving and would lose all function. So would have to clear out the basket and backwash, rinse, and repeat, every 10 minutes til I literally said screw it, theres got to be a better way.
So did some checking and decided to do a full empty and refill on it. So I drained it out, and lo and behold, nothing but 4-5" of sand and mud in the bottom of the deep end. So, emptied out the pool, pumped all of the water out, swept, vacuumed, purged the lines, re-checked the Sand Filter and laterals, (they still look good) and now Im refilling and putting the sand back in. Will test water once its filled up and start 100% fresh! I want to thank everyone (Especially you KIM!) for all the help and will be updating once the pool fills and I run a test to see where we are at!

Great job! Did you figure out some way to pump the sand/dirt out of the deep end, or did you have to shovel it out?

Kreepy Krawlys don't work well in dirty pools (lots of leaves, etc). Does a good job of keeping a clean pool clean

Stormyone :shock: what did the stuff look like on the bottom? I know you took a pic for me. I wonder what it was? And to be THAT thick?? WOW! You did not stand a chance of cleaning that out with just chemicals.

I would like to recap. Correct anything I get wrong:

-bought pool that came with house

-pool was closed for 3 yrs but covered

-open pool-wave magic wand and open wallet and..............nothing LOL

-Find TFP

-order and get test kit (broke ankle :( )

-test water in storm, on diving board

-things not getting better

-put cleaner in and it can only run for a few mins before clogged---------what did the stuff look like that clogged it?

-drain pool and find INCHES of stuff on bottom of pool---------was it all over the bottom or had it drifted down to the deep end?

You can go ahead and test your hose water. Don't bother testing the CYA as that has to be added. Share the results with us and we can get your shopping list ready for when your pool is full.

:hug: Well done! Good job following your gut!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.