Manvel, TX (Houston)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I’ve been staring at my crystal clear water all winter, and now that the pool temp is near 70 I figured it’s time to do the spring chem balance and tweak everything to its optimal range. In anticipation of this I bought a couple bags of Clorox pool salt from Lowe’s a month or so ago as it was on sale. I always buy it from Leslie’s, but I figured salt is salt and it said 99.9% pure. Plus I was already at Lowe’s buying other things. Why not save a few $$ and what could go wrong? Well long story short, it says 99.9% pure but that extra 0.01% that isn’t is nasty. It left a brown stain on the plaster and when added to a bucket to dissolve with water, the water turned brown and left foamy scum on the side. In my days of using bleach I knew Clorox wasn’t great, low concentration and $$$. It seems their salt is something to steer clear of too. The pics below speak for themselves and a fair warning to others eager to open up their pools this spring.
IMG_1068.jpegIMG_1069.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW and cwswifty
Way ahead of ya sadly. Most salt brands are dirty but Chlorox salt has had iron in it enough times that we advise against it. Or anything else from them besides their CYA.

Mortons gave some people issues last year too.

Did you know you can also use water softener salt next to the hot water heaters at HD/Lowes ? It's usually a few bucks cheaper per bag but it fluctuates like anything else. Make sure it's the 100% / pure one. The chunks are a little bigger so it takes an extra 30 mins to dissolve. I dump mine on my stairs, then brush it into the shallow end (so it's easier to toddler with). Then I return for a re-brush every half hour until its gone. It rarely needs a 3rd visit.

I’ve heard of using water softener salt, and having a water softener I use it regularly just not in the pool. Since I converted to salt I’ve just always used Leslie’s. It’s pure, fine grained, and dissolves really fast. Pour in, a quick brush, then it’s nearly gone. Though I do pay extra for that as it’s $12 a bag.

That is a known problem with Clorox Salt and a good reminder at the start of the season…

• Wow
Reactions: FnC80 and JamesW
Though I do pay extra for that as it’s $12 a bag.
Last year I was surprised that the water softener salt was $10 each at HD while their fancy pool salt was $8, so I saved and had one less brushing to do.

Most years it's the other way 'round. Thanks for the reminder I should start looking soon. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.