Caution!!!on buying cheap prices on bleach at Discount Store

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Randleman,NC
Stopped at Aldis today $1.09 for 960z's...I was going to pick up some..But,noticed the best used date of Jan..2010....I believe you are playing with fire when you think you are getting a good deal.

Butterfly

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2007
South Carolina
Jan 2010 :eek: Kinda old, huh! Good reminder tho that we should always check the EXP date no matter where we buy bleach (just like milk!).

Having used Aldi's Tundra for several years , so far I have only had good experiences with quality and expiration dates.

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Randleman,NC
Yes, exp date not prod.date....Hope that's not the case at all Aldi's...Have had real good luck with Walmart brand so I didn't want to take a chance!!

harry5170

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2010
Kelseyville, Ca
i bought 4 gallons of 12% for $17 in a returnable tote at our local pool store. Walmart 6% is almost $2.00 a gallon so it is $.25 more a gallon for the 12%. It is worth it to me not to have to deal with all the jugs!

Candi

Jun 23, 2010
Re: Caution!!!on buying cheap prices on bleach at Discount S

I just visited my Aldis and our sell by date was 10/2011.
How do you think they do the sell by dates? How many years do they give it?

They also sell Reeva salt pellets. I can't find any info on purity for them. Any idea it would be an OK salt to use?

Vandergraff

Jun 22, 2010

harry5170 said:
i bought 4 gallons of 12% for $17 in a returnable tote at our local pool store. Walmart 6% is almost $2.00 a gallon so it is $.25 more a gallon for the 12%. It is worth it to me not to have to deal with all the jugs!
That is what I am doing. $16 for 4 gallons of 12% at local pool store - all in returnable case/jugs.

I looked Lowes, Home Depot etc and maybe I could save a small amount but the convenience of being able to return jugs when getting the next batch is worth it to me as well.

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA

Ditto for me. $14 for 4 gallons of 12.5% chlorinating liquid in returnable jugs (and a plastic crate that holds 4 jugs).

faithfulfrank

Oct 5, 2007
western NY

Our local pool store has 5 gallon big square jugs of 12.5% for $14.95 in returnable deposit jugs. I used to do Aldi's, but the tons of jugs got to be too much of a pain.

Frank

amylucintfp

Jul 31, 2009

You folks inspired me to call my local pool store, because my recycling bins get too full!

Me: Do you sell chlorinating liquid?

PS: <pause> Like for Baquacil?

Me: No. Liquid chlorine, 12.5%?

PS: Ummmm.....I don't think we sell that.

:lol:

(Of course, maybe they really don't, but the answer sure didn't inspire a lot of confidence!)

mynewpool

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX

amylucintfp said:
You folks inspired me to call my local pool store, because my recycling bins get too full!

(Of course, maybe they really don't, but the answer sure didn't inspire a lot of confidence!)
Funny stuff there.

Bellicusa

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Bellmawr, NJ

amylucintfp said:

I ran into that last year. I was at their store buying DE and asked what % their liquid chlorine was. They weren't positive, but thought it was about 35%

Anthony

guamguy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2010
Guam, USA

35 percent :shock: That's some good stuff! :goodjob: Too bad it's probably not true.

Speedo

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011

Is that a guess based on granular form? Last time I was at the pool store I was a bit surprised to hear one of their main guys saying he prefers to use LC. It seems they only partially enjoy selling unneeded stuff.

blakeusa

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2010
Ashford, CT

Aldi's is owned by the same company that ownes Trader Joes and the largest chain of stores in the UK I believe. They are a good store-- not the Dollar Store or junk-o-rama. Anyway good heads up to check dates.

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Randleman,NC

I just stay with the great Value..Have had no problem's..I can't stand going into Aldi's..

gkruske

Aug 7, 2009

I've been buying their 3 qt jugs for .99 a jug. Expiration date of Nov 2011. Figured that should be okay.

thepiratemorgan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
Central NY

Butterfly said:
Jan 2010 :eek: Kinda old, huh! Good reminder tho that we should always check the EXP date no matter where we buy bleach (just like milk!).

Having used Aldi's Tundra for several years , so far I have only had good experiences with quality and expiration dates.
Agreed. I too use it and never any problems. I also check dates just like milk!

thepiratemorgan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
Central NY

kplaster said:
I just stay with the great Value..Have had no problem's..I can't stand going into Aldi's..
Uh, also agreed ... have to go there in middle of day ... and even then ... uggghh!!! But I still like the price and it's in line with my route to and from work.

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin

How can you tell the production date from the expiration date? I have some HTH bleach from my local Ace Hardware with dates on it, but they don't say production or expiration anywhere near them.

Other Threads of Interest