Caulk (?) recommendations

Raebelk

Apr 26, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Hi! I purchased a house with a pool this past January. I am finally starting to be able to use it and I noticed that the caulking between the tile and the coping is coming apart. What is recommended to fill in this area?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpeg
    IMG_3657.jpeg
    773.5 KB · Views: 49
It appears the deck may have settled in the rear a little causing the cantilever of the decking to lift up. If that's the case, you may want to correct that first.

Clean the space thoroughly and use ANY polyurethane caulk. It's a little messy to work with but will give you the neatest seal.

It appears that the fact you have that separation between the tile and the coping is an indication of a bigger problem. I would assume that gap was originally filled with grout. Patching it with some type of mastic will only be cosmetic and will have to be fixed over and over. By the way, does the coping sound hollow when you tap on it l?

Tremco Vulkem 116 polyurethane caulk was recommended to me a while back and has held up. It is messy to work with. Clean the joint out well.

It appears that the fact you have that separation between the tile and the coping is an indication of a bigger problem. I would assume that gap was originally filled with grout. Patching it with some type of mastic will only be cosmetic and will have to be fixed over and over. By the way, does the coping sound hollow when you tap on it l?
Hi, thanks for your response. The pool was just finished in Aug 2022. I bought the house in January 2023. The gap does not appear to have ever been filled with grout. It looks to me like in a couple of areas the tile settled slightly lower than where it was originally caulked. The coping does not sound hollow and the deck is all level and does not appear shift, nor are the tiles out of place. Nothing is loose.

Hi, thanks for your response. The pool was just finished in Aug 2022. I bought the house in January 2023. The gap does not appear to have ever been filled with grout. It looks to me like in a couple of areas the tile settled slightly lower than where it was originally caulked. The coping does not sound hollow and the deck is all level and does not appear shift, nor are the tiles out of place. Nothing is loose.
The tile can’t settle, it can only pop off. only possible movement is for the deck. If it drops in the back even a little bit it’ll pull the front edge up away from the tile. That’s likely what happened.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.