Caterpillar poop in pool

Water Cat

Aug 30, 2020
ON
Surface
Vinyl
Ok I'm not sure where I should post this but I am have a problem with gypsy moths right now and they are pooping in my pool. It's not only gross but leaves stains all over the resin ledge and keeps collecting in the bottom of the pool throwing off the chemistry and it's just gross to swim in a pool with poop in it. It also gets in the filter and clogs it up so I am backwashing very frequently.

It literally collets in the pool overnight even if I vacuum.

Is there any way to deal with this other than cutting down my tree? I already have duct tape on the trunk and am picking off any caterpillars I find.

I have a solar blanket and it is on most of the day except in the evening when people are swimming or I am managing the pool (cleaning, chemicals etc.)

The cover is even stained from this. It's really gross. It leaves a nasty orange stain on everything.

You’re fighting against Mother Nature and that’s always a losing battle. She only understands one thing - chainsaws. And not those sissy little battery powered ones … I’m talking 16-18” of hardened steel chain with a good 56+ cc 2-cycle gas engine driving that monster. Get one and she’ll throw you a smidge of respect …

Seriously though, you have to get as much of the trees and canopy away from the pool as possible. Do they allow spraying in your area? Gypsy Moth caterpillars are highly susceptible to bacillus thuringiensis based insecticides. It a natural bacteria that is highly toxic to the caterpillars digestive system but completely safe to humans and pets. It’s about the only spray control method to keep them at bay. Downside is everyone in your immediate vicinity (neighborhood) needs to get sprayed as well to push them back.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Does anyone have any idea how to get the orange stains off the resin top rail and uprights? It doesn't seem to come off easily even with a scrub brush. I don't want to scratch it up either though.

Bleach cleans everything. IMHO. Try using bathroom spray cleaner with bleach. If a little gets in your pool it ain’t gonna hurt it. I have tent caterpillars. Idk if it’s the same but mine poop gray and I use Clorox bathroom spray with the bleach to clean my rails. They are resin. I got a quote to take down 5 trees. $250 a piece. I’ll just clean poop.

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or one of the generic equivalents. For the future you might want to consider a shade sail set up under the most problematic area of the tree. It will catch most of the debris and you can take it down and power wash it periodically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.