Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello TFP - trying to get some advice. I have a pebble tec pool that has a small catch basin that was done in cement (not finished out with pebble tec for some reason like rest of pool). Pebble tec has held up very well since installed in '02, but there are stains in the catch basin that I was considering painting. I've attached pictures. After the many comments on the TFP forum about the downside with painting (chalk residue, have to redo every 2-3 yrs, etc), I am wondering what advice to clean away the stains and make this more attractive. The stains appear more brownish in color and first step I'm planning is to drain and power wash. Is painting this small of an area still a problem? Acid wash the stains and just leave as is? Thanks for any recommendations.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 31
First thing I would suggest is IDing the stains as removing them alone might help.

Try putting some vitamin C tablets on the stains and see if they lighten, go away.
If so, then they are iron stains.
If nothing happens, then try a trichlor tablet for a few minutes to see if they are organic.

Thanks for the info jbizzle about vit C (as well as a tricolor tablet used). This helped some of the stains in the basin. However, upon further inspection and power washing, I think this is just plaster (or the glazing finish used over the concrete?) that has etched away over time. I am going to patch 2 small holes and then decide what to do next. Probably need to plan on having catch basin re-plastered (or just going with pebble tec like the pool), but not for a few years given the cost. Again, not sure why the PB didn't do the small catch basin the same as the pool. Couldn't have been that much more cost wise. In any event, what is recommended for patching the small holes? I have some Atlas pool puddy and was going to use that. I may go ahead and paint the basin if it will last me a few yrs before I plan for the bigger remodel job in this small basin. Here are some pics. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 17
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.