Cartridge Filter Size- PB says 200sf is the largest they make??

katiejean13

Jun 24, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Trying to decide on PB for 35 x 14 pool (3.5-5’ slope with 72sf sun shelf if that matters) Had a meeting today with one of final 2… was going over any last questions and asked if cartridge filter size should be larger than 200sf (based on some things I’ve read on this site).

PB (who uses Pentair) says 200 is the largest they make, and should be great for our pool. He cleans his 1x a week… and gives a lesson on the different filter options etc.
Based on what I’ve read here, I should be looking for a larger filter for the size pool, providing less frequent cleanings, and a more efficient pool. Outside of added cost, is there any reason NOT to get a larger filter? And is the PB blowing BS that they don’t make any larger?? If he’s lying about that, what else should we not trust him about?

If he’s lying about that, what else should we not trust him about?
Keep in mind also, just because he was wrong about this item doesn't mean he's lying. It may simply have been years since he's looked at things and he was simply incorrect. If he's somebody you're considering in building your pool, show him this info and see what he says. He may easily go "well all-be, never knew that" and maybe open to ordering a larger filter. Just because somebody is wrong, doesn't always mean they're lying.

Reactions: duade and Jimrahbe
Keep in mind also, just because he was wrong about this item doesn't mean he's lying. It may simply have been years since he's looked at things and he was simply incorrect. If he's somebody you're considering in building your pool, show him this info and see what he says. He may easily go "well all-be, never knew that" and maybe open to ordering a larger filter. Just because somebody is wrong, doesn't always mean they're lying.
Fair point… he’s been in the industry 20+ years and the company has been around for at least 30. He’s the sales person/designer for most of their pools, so I find it hard to believe they install 200sf or smaller in every pool they build. Could be that’s all that’s in stock, but then that should have been the response. We have another local PB who has been on national news for taking contracts and leaving people with holes in their yards and going under. So we are a little gun shy about trusting a company with $100k 😅

The builder might not know, but I would question their competence if they are so uninformed as to not know the product line of the manufacturer that they use.

It's not like the CCP plus filters are a recent addition.

Installing a Pentair Cartridge Filter (Clean & Clear Plus) July 1, 2012.

He cleans his 1x a week… and gives a lesson on the different filter options etc.

Katie,

That kind of says it all... Why would anyone want to clean their filters weekly??

Unless of course he also has a pool cleaning business and charges for his weekly cleanings... Sigh!!!

I call Florida "The land of the Dinky filters". I can generally tell from a picture of the equipment pad, if the pool is in Florida or not.. :mrgreen:

To give them some slack, a lot of Florida pools are in screen rooms so that cuts down and large debris.

Other than cost, there is no reason not to get the largest filter you can afford... I have a 17K pool and a CCP-520 filter. I clean it twice a year, but probably could go all year if I wanted.

I'm sure he will bring up the additional cartridge costs, but keep in mind the cartridges should last for 8 to 10 years...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Katie,

That kind of says it all... Why would anyone want to clean their filters weekly??

Unless of course he also has a pool cleaning business and charges for his weekly cleanings... Sigh!!!

I call Florida "The land of the Dinky filters". I can generally tell from a picture of the equipment pad, if the pool is in Florida or not.. :mrgreen:

To give them some slack, a lot of Florida pools are in screen rooms so that cuts down and large debris.

Other than cost, there is no reason not to get the largest filter you can afford... I have a 17K pool and a CCP-520 filter. I clean it twice a year, but probably could go all year if I wanted.

I'm sure he will bring up the additional cartridge costs, but keep in mind the cartridges should last for 8 to 10 years...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks! I thought 1x a week was a lot too.... we will might hire a pool guy to handle the chemicals, but either way, doesn't make sense to clean that often. We aren't going to have a screen, so I definitely want to make sure we have the most efficient equipment.
He didn't even offer a larger filter, so no idea as to the additional cost from him. But what I could see online, the larger size wasn't that much more expensive, especially if we're talking about saving all the time cleaning, and in the scheme of the whole pool cost.

Reactions: Jimrahbe and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.