Cartridge filter size for replacing a sand filter

markymark26

Apr 22, 2020
Mahopac, NY
Hello all,
My sand filter developed a crack last year and I am looking to upgrade it to a cartridge filter. I have an approx 21000 gal. vinyl pool and run 1 1/2 inch pvc. My old filter was a Hayward S200 sand filter with a 1hp Hayward super pump. What size cartridge filter would you recommend and with what size pump? It would be nice to be able to use my old pump to save a few $. Is there any brand or model you would recommend?

Mark,

I am a big fan of large cartridge filters... That said, I would not be a big fan if I were likely to get algae each year.. If I lived in a place where I closed my pool each year and had to fight algae at opening, I would probably stick with something I could backwash.. Or at least something I could use to get the pool running without clogging my filters.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mark,

I am a big fan of large cartridge filters... That said, I would not be a big fan if I were likely to get algae each year.. If I lived in a place where I closed my pool each year and had to fight algae at opening, I would probably stick with something I could backwash.. Or at least something I could use to get the pool running without clogging my filters.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Makes sense. I do deal with some algae at opening.

Mark,

My current set up has the water coming from the pump right into the filter... It works, but if I take the lid off the pump, the filter will drain (some) water back out of the pump or into the pool. My plan for this summer is to add a three way valve between the pump and the filter.. I could use the valve to drain some pool water if I wanted, but more to isolate the filter from the pump when doing maintenance.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: markymark26
With a cartridge filter what type of valve would you pipe in before the filter? Say if I would need to drain the pool. Is a 3-way fine. Would there be any situation where I would need to bypass the filter?
I just have a water hose faucet where it goes into the filter. I just attach a garden hose and let it drain when it’s too high.
As far as bypassing you can take the filters out, at least in my Hayward it you want to run without filtration. I did when I did a vitamin C treatment
I also agree, buy the biggest filter you can fit and afford. When I first switched to cartridge I sized it slightly bigger and had to clean the filters more then I liked.
Finally went with Hayward 4030 ( 4 cartridge ) and may clean once or twice a year but that’s because I want to :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.