Cartridge Filter Now Time to Replace?

Oct 27, 2014
Mooresville, NC
I have the Jandy CV580 filter with the 4 cartridge filters (R0357900). After cleaning the filters, pressure is normally about 12 psi. When pressure gets to 22 psi, I clean the filters (according to the markings on the gauge. However, now with perfectly clean filters, the pressure is 20-22 psi. The filters are 6 years old although show now sign of damage - no tears, rips, bands are intact. I also checked the pressure gauge and ensured there are no obstructions.

Does this mean it is time to replace the cartridges?

Thanks!

I would replace the $15 gauge before thinking about replacing the filters. Usually they fall apart at end of life instead of getting clogged. Are the pleats still separated by the bands or are many folds stuck together ? If they are all stuck in groups it would easily raise your PSI and probably require replacing. If the pleats still look pleat-y...... try the gauge for a cheap fix first.

Any valves changed which may be impeding water returning to the pool? Just want to rule that out.

We suggest folks backwash when their filter pressure rises 25%. So you should BW when it hits 16.

Maddie

Hi Maddie - no change in valve positions - comparing apples to apples. There is no backwash on a cartridge filter system: you drain the filter tank, remove the cover, remove the cartridges and clean them, then put everything back together.

If you can stand to open the filter one more time, you can experiment. Take out the cartridges and reassemble the filter without them. Run the pump for a short time. If the pressure drops even though you've cleaned the cartridges, it's probably time to replace them. If the pressure stays high without the cartridges in place, you may have blockage elsewhere.

Capt..

From my point of view cartridges should be good until they fall apart...

I like the "painful" idea of running without the cartridges and see what pressure you get..

My cartridges are 6 years old and I have zero increase in pressure, but I have a VS pump running slow, so that does not really count.

If these were mine I would try to soak them and see what that would do.. I have never soaked mine, but I think there are a lot of threads about how to soak them..

Have you ever used anything that might have clogged them?? Floc or ???

I know it is easy for me to spend your money, but since you have a SWCG, you should really look into a large VS pump.. My filter pressure is about 1 lb. and I still have plenty of water flow to skim and turn on my SWCG.. I run 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Rockriver3
Mr. Rocket and Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion to remove the cartridges and see what pressure I get when running the pump. I will try that and will report back. This is indeed strange since the filter material really looks to be in good shape. Last summer I replaced the motor on the pump due to failure - I should have considered a VS one - great point. Finally thought - last September, I did the protocol for removing iron staining.
Ascorbic Acid Treatment - Further Reading

I followed the procedure found here on TFP and it worked great. I did not see any effect on pressure after doing this. Hmmmm.

Here is an update. I removed the cartridges, put everything back together and restarted the (single speed) pump. Pressure was 12-14 psi. In the past, when my filters were cleaned, the pressure would be the same. Again, putting the cartridges back in, the pressure is back up to 20-22 psi, which is the recommended pressure for cleaning the filters. Inspection of the filter pleats show no tears, rips, deformation; bands are good. In the very inner portion of the pleats though, there is some black discoloration. I kept the valve lineup the same for comparing results.

A previous suggestion is to replace the gauge. I can do that. However, I believe I actually have seeing lower flows with is consistent with the higher pressure. Any other thoughts out there from all the experts? Thanks much.

Reactions: Deb04
Your next step is to soak the filters in TSP. You have big cartridges so you will need a large container or maybe a bathtub?

TSP will remove oils. Oils get in the filter from sunscreen, lotions, body oils, hair products, etc.

Jim earlier asked if you have used floc or some other pool store potion recently. Have you?

No, I have not used floc. But last September, I did the protocol for removing iron staining. The procedure worked great. I did not notice any pressure increase following this.
Ascorbic Acid Treatment - Further Reading

I will try the TSP approach. Any idea how much TSP to use in a bathtub? My tub is large enough to accommodate all 4 filters (7" wide x 33" tall)? Any suggestion how long to soak them - overnight?

Thanks Marty!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Capt,

If your pressure used to be about 13 lbs with clean cartridges, then I would have "thought" that without any cartridges, your pressure would have been lower... :scratch: That said, I have never actually tried that test...

Have you made sure that nothing is blocking the path through your SWCG?? Without a heater, there is not much else there..

I like Marty's idea to soak the cartridges... mainly because I am cheap.. :mrgreen:

If you soak them, or buy new ones, please let us know the results of what you do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, 6 years ago when the pool was built, I never ran the brand new system without the cartridges installed to check for the initial baseline pressure. It is interesting as you say, the pressure now (12-14 psi) is the same as with perfectly clean filters. I agree, I was expecting a lower pressure without the cartridges installed. I'll try the TSP soak and will look into replacing the gauge for initial low cost fixes. I'll report back. Appreciate your help.

By the way, these are the original Jandy filters: R0357900

I completed an 18 hour soak with my cartridges using TSP (6 cups in 30 gallons of water), then throughly rinsed them off. Upon startup, the pressure as 19 psi - down 3 from 22 psi but well above the previous clean state of 12-14 psi. After running the system for about 8 hours, psi has increased to about 21 psi. I checked my valves and they seem to be functioning correctly. Water pressure coming out of the returns seems about normal.

So, before investing in new cartridges, I will replace the pressure gauge, a much cheaper next step. Attached is a photo showing one of the cartridges.

Any additional thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3372[1].jpg
    IMG_3372[1].jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 23
Yes. After the guage you have nothing to lose with an acid bath. Its not recommended without the TSP bath (which you did) becaus certain metals and oils could be permanently tarpped in the pleats. You are free to acid bath for a day. The manual for one posted recently said 20:1, but i usually go closer to 50:1 with good results. I use one of the big green landscaper buckets outside, fill it 3/4 with water, add a gallin of MA and then the filters. I would not use the bathtub for this one like you did. Also, your pleats look to be in great condition.

Thanks to all who have assisted me. Here is an update. I soaked the cartridges in TSP for 18 hours at a mixture of 1 cup per 5 gallons fresh water, then I rinsed them off. Then I soaked then in muriatic acid for 18 hours at a mixture of about 40 to 1 in fresh water. They came out pretty clean; see the attached photo.

After putting them back into my system, the pressure returned to what I consider to be my "clean normal' of about 12-14 psi. Hooray! I ordered a replacement OEM pressure gage assembly (Jandy) and installed that and the new pressure is about 3-4 psi lower. So, there were two things at play here: the filters reached a point that when "clean", the pressure was at 20-24 psi (the pressure when I would normally clean them). The TSP and muriatic acid soaks apparently "deep cleaned" them. Second issue - the pressure gauge was reading too high (assuming now the new pressure gauge is now reading "correctly".

Again thanks again. Final question: should cartridge filters, in addition to their normal hose down cleanings, be regulary soaked in TSP and/or muriatic acid? Annually? Every 2 years, etc? I am just wondering if these soaks should become part of routine maintenance.

Attachments

• IMG_3373.jpg
    IMG_3373.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: newdude
I do hose offs after the pollen is done falling and mid season. When I close the pool I do the MA bath and store them in my garage ready to go for next year.

M,

Good job running the experiment.. :thumleft:

I'll keep that in mind if I start seeing the problem on my end.

I had my doubts that it would make any difference, but obviously, I was wrong.... again.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.