Cartridge Filter Cleaning stands?

Tomas,

I just set mine on top of an old potted plant stand/table, about 18" high.

I agree about the back, you need to get the cartridge up off the ground so that you don't have to work all bent over.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Dirk
I set mine on a 5-gallon bucket turned upside down.
punch a hole in the bottom and place a 1inch or 1.5 inch PVC pipe through it and you can have the filter stand upright while you hit it with a hose.

I made an umbrella stand with a 5 gal bucket filled with cement and a 1.5 inch PVC pipe. I just stick the umbrella into the PVC pipe and it won't blow over. I just roll it on its edge to where I want to set it up. You could also put a cartridge filter over it for cleaning.
Also, I made a round wood board to side over it as well to make a small table to hold beverages.
5 gal buckets are real handy for multitude of things.

I ended up moving the whole thing so that all the run off (water and gunk) could drain off into “the back 40” instead of my garden. I didn’t realize at first how much water was involved. I built the paver pad so that I could sit on a chair while cleaning. I used ABS of a size that fits inside the filter without much slack. The filter spins on the ABS and won’t fall over from the force of the spray.

Ordered the The Cartridge Cleaning Stand to give it a whirl... Bryan's design looks pretty solid and compact for storage ... will report back for spring filter cleaning.

I ended up moving the whole thing so that all the run off (water and gunk) could drain off into “the back 40” instead of my garden. I didn’t realize at first how much water was involved. I built the paver pad so that I could sit on a chair while cleaning. I used ABS of a size that fits inside the filter without much slack. The filter spins on the ABS and won’t fall over from the force of the spray.
Do you know what size ABS you used? I have been using a 5 gallon bucked turned upside down and it is not easy on my back. This would be much better. I usually do this in my driveway so the water can run off so I could make it more of a stand with legs. I just cleaned my filters a couple of weeks ago and don't want to take them apart to see what size is needed if I don't have to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll have to go down and measure, stand by. It's actually the size of the fittings that matter, not the pipe itself. My cartridges ride over the sweep tee collar and the cap on top.

It's 2" ABS, but the cap and sweep tee fittings are a bit larger. They fit just right inside my Pentair cartridges. The cartridge sits on top of the sweep, and that sets the height above the pad.

I built a series of stairways around my property to help me with the steep grades when I get older (let's face it, I need them NOW). I added a large landing at the bottom of this one, then used stainless steel plumber's strapping to stabilize the cartridge stand against the wood frame.

cartridge stand 1.jpg

cartridge stand 2.jpg
cartridge stand 3.jpg

Now the water and crud can drain off to the oak trees below my house, instead of into my garden.

Thank you for measuring these for me!
Sure. I extended the sweep with a short piece of ABS and then capped that, along with the top piece. The caps help with the way the cartridge fits and spins, but also keep bugs and who-knows-what-else from making a home out of the thing.

Reactions: HermanTX
Curious what latest solutions everyone is using for their cartridge filter cleanings.

Debating over building something custom or getting a solution like the cartridge cleaning stand to ease the back.
What about putting it horizontal? Put the filter on a broomstick and lay it across 2 chair backs/ladders/buckets/whatever. Like you're roasting a whole pig on a spit LOL!

Reactions: Newdude
What about putting it horizontal? Put the filter on a broomstick and lay it across 2 chair backs/ladders/buckets/whatever. Like you're roasting a whole pig on a spit LOL!
The reason I clean mine vertically is so the crud rinses out. My filters have sections, and each section has a bit of a wall between it and the next section. I start with the top section and clean it all the way around before starting on the next lower section. I reach in with a nozzle and clean each pleat. The crud tends to jamb up at the bottom of each pleat, where it meets the section wall. So I have to give it an extra "shove" with the water stream. It eventually all falls out and down. If the pleat was horizontal, I expect it would be hard to clear the pleat, unless the pleat would be facing almost down. Then you'd either have to bend way over and shoot the water stream upwards, which would be very back-breaking, or raise the cartridge high enough to work on, which would then soak you completely as the spray shot out and down from the pleat. (I pretty much get soaked anyway, but I can at least shoot the stream downward and minimize the splash back.)

Working top down with the cartridge vertical tends to keep the parts I've washed clean. If I was working horizontal, I think the crud could get back into the sections already cleaned. With the cartridge horizontal, some number of pleats are always going to be facing up, trapping water and maybe collecting dirt?

I dunno. I've never tried it horizontal. Can't hurt, give it a go. I'm just predicting it won't work as well as vertical.

The broomstick on the chairs is certainly an easy thing to build, but I think you'll find the broom sliding around on the chairs as you work and turn the cartridge. A fixed stand is the way to go. You'd want to at least tie the broomstick to the chairs somehow to fix it in place. A wider pole might work better, like a length of 2" PVC or ABS.

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.