Cartridge Filter Cleaning Accessories? Necessary?

Apr 13, 2017
Little Elm Texas
I was looking at what needs to be done to clean my filters.

Would anyone recommend something like the "Aqua Comb", and some spray cleaner to spray them down before hose?

Or just take them out, and wash down with hose?

More curious about if we need to use some type of cleaner on them first.

Do you use any cleaner or just hose it down?
I just hose it. At one time I tried the TSP soaking, but for my single cartridge I just found it not worth my time. Hosing does a good job removing all the dirt and bugs. Maybe if someone had a lot of lotions or oils trapped, a cleaning might be worth the effort. I don't have enough bikini models in my pool to worry about that. :)

L,

I use this..

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiOtLrvtbrcAhVDuMAKHYPFBPsYABAOGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASEuRoUxEcBSE97OSaX7pKK2L9OA&sig=AOD64_0xGos20Czm4WNINBTHRSHHo1TiWg&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=2ahUKEwist7XvtbrcAhWD44MKHdrWCJYQ9aACegQIARAx&adurl=

I still use it, but I suspect that what Pat recommends would work just as well..

I just use water to spray them down, I don't use any kind of cleaner.

Make sure you have a tube of "pool lube" for the big O-ring in between the top and bottom of your filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have one of the "pocket hoses" that comes with its own spray nozzle that just lets out a jet style blast of water. Like this:

91YNdKc3YgL._SL1500_.jpg

I use it to hose out all the dirt, bugs, etc..... Then I soak my filters overnight/for up to 24 hours. You can use either a commercially available filter cleaning solution, a mixture of one cup of TSP (trisodium phosphate) to 5 gallons of water, or a mixture of one cup of dishwashing detergent to 5 gallons of water. I personally use the TSP. I have a 32 gallon trash can that I use and I have to mix 25 gallons of water/5 cups of TSP. I then soak my filter overnight..... I have to use a brick to keep it held under the water or else the filter floats. Soak a minimum of overnight and then hose it off again. I usually end up taking it apart and hosing it out one evening, putting it into soak, and then taking it out of the solution and putting it back into the filter housing the following evening after work again.

I could likely get away without the TSP soak, but we are all really fair skinned and dump the sunscreen onto us and our son really heavily, so it really gives us peace of mind and it gives me a little bit of something to tinker around with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FWIW, I use a diluted solution of Simple Green to soak my cartridge filters overnight. I place them in a large (>55 gal) trash can and add about 1 quart of Simple Green then fill the can to cover the cartridges. They soak overnight (I have two sets of cartridges so the pool is never without filtration) and I rinse them with a similar nozzle as noted above. My second rinse is with an Aqua-Comb. I find it really gets into the folds much easier (with less overspray) than the simple nozzle and completely removes any residue.

I have used a couple of different nozzles to clean our filters - and this year used my Worx Hydroshot 40v portable low pressure washer (it was one of my birthday presents and I have found quite a few uses for it).

This thing can put out around 300psi from a standard hose connection and has different spray angles that really cleaned our filters a lot better this go around. The best part for us is it uses a ton less water, which is important living with constant water restrictions due to the on again off again droughts that have tortured poor old California.

I have one of the water wands that has a tiny port that also works nicely, but will stick with the battery powered pressure washer from now on.

I have used a couple of different nozzles to clean our filters - and this year used my Worx Hydroshot 40v portable low pressure washer (it was one of my birthday presents and I have found quite a few uses for it).

This thing can put out around 300psi from a standard hose connection and has different spray angles that really cleaned our filters a lot better this go around. The best part for us is it uses a ton less water, which is important living with constant water restrictions due to the on again off again droughts that have tortured poor old California.

I have one of the water wands that has a tiny port that also works nicely, but will stick with the battery powered pressure washer from now on.

I just ordered a hydro shot & 4ah battery, how long does it take to
Do your filter?

I hypothesize 10hours a week is spent cleaning cartridges during my closing season, I’d really like to chisel that time down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.