Capacitor lead disconnected

Aug 24, 2017
Tucson
The pump was humming and shutting off, so I went to remove the capacitor to test it, and as I pulled off the leads, one of them just popped off (see the included pic). I assume I'll need to sodder it back on, but I don't own any soddering equipment, and have never used any before, so I wanted to check in with those more well versed with this kind of thing before I botch things up any worse DIYing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_214212271.jpg
    IMG_20200621_214212271.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 22
What pump? What motor?

Show us the other end where that connects to.

I think a new motor may be in your future.

Sorry for the lack of info in the original post. I circled in red where I believe the wire disconnected. It's a 1081 CT1102 AO Smith 1 HP motor (Mod. K48L2N100A1).

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_085414103.jpg
    IMG_20200628_085414103.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 33
Here is a picture of a similar pump and you can see the way the yellow wire is soldered into the U on the connection. It looks like something broke off from your connector and you lost half of the U.

You can try soldering it but I don't know how long it will last. Solder provides an electical connection but does not give a strong mechanical joint.

Pump_Centrifugal_Switch.jpg

One end of your yellow wire has what appears to be a female disconnect wire connector. I am assuming that end goes to the tab on your start capacitor. The other end looks like it supposed to have a compression lug on it (hard to tell from the picture of the motor)

A compression lug is a small cylinder with a tab that has a hole in it. The cylinder goes over the bare wire and is compressed. The tab get screwed to whatever it is connecting to, or sometimes is it set with a punch.

It looks like the cylinder part of the compression lug cracked and the wire came out. If you can unscrew the remaining part from the motor then it is a simple task to get a new lug, clean up the end of your wire, compress the lug onto the wire and reattached it. If the lug was punched or riveted on, then you will either have to solder the wire to whats left of the connector (clean it first), or depending on what is in there (hard to see) you could try drilling out the rivet and using a self drilling machine screw to attach a new one (some locktite wouldn't hurt in that case)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So my attempts at soldering failed. Tried four different hardware stores talking to their staff about other means to secure it, but nothing ended up working. I think I'm ready to throw in the towel and take it a professional repair shop at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.