Cap size for filter drain?

youmyboyblue

Silver Supporter
Jul 12, 2019
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Hello!

The cap on my filter drain has cracked and is leaking. Any idea what size it is, and/or where to buy? The label from the filter is gone. It's a sand filter, Hayward equipment. Hoping it's a standard size someone might know. Pics attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200504_214642.jpg
    IMG_20200504_214642.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200504_214655.jpg
    IMG_20200504_214655.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200504_214709.jpg
    IMG_20200504_214709.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 14
There are two sizes of drain caps on the Hayward Pro Series sand filters. On older tanks (maybe 10+ years old) they use the smaller cap pictured in your link, above. The newer tanks have a larger drain cap:

They are not interchangeable.

Definitely get a couple of spares. It's a weak design that frequently cracks at the bottom.

My Hayward filter is also leaking from the drain cap. I just bought a brand new cap, and it leaks also. I've tried teflon tape and plumbers putty to stop it, but to no avail! Last year I had to use a wrench to tighten it enough to not leak, this year that didn't work, and I'm worried that even though I tried to be careful in my attempts to tighten it I might have stripped the threads on the filter. Is there some known trick with these thiings that can stop them from leaking?

Yes.. I got a new cap and gasket...

I hadn't thought of using a winter plug (presuming you mean the same type of winter plug I also use for winterizing the other pipes). That might be something to try.

I tried a winter plug but I don't have good size that fits in there. Is there a specific size plug that works well?

In the meantime I seem to have stopped the leak for the moment, by taking the gasket from my old cap, and putting it under the gasket in the new cap, so now there's two gaskets in the new cap. Had to wrench it tight, but it doesn't seem to be leaking at the moment.. I've got my fingers, eyes, and toes, crossed it'll hold.

Be careful with the winter plug. It applies pressure from the inside to seal and can crack the nipple on the tank if overtightened. Try a hose clamp on the outside of the cap so it doesn't "stretch" when you snug it up. Are you using teflon/silicone goop on the gasket?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What about a rubber stopper (like for a test tube). May need length trimming, depending on sizing. Place it in the drain hole so there is about 1/8" sticking out. Then use the broken cap to apply just a wee bit of pressure to hold the stopper in.

Andrew

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.