Can’t vacuum

Jun 20, 2008
Kentucky
First time vacuuming this year but it doesn’t hold pressure. Water fills in the hose then it stops. The water in the basket at the pump is just running but does not fill. What’s wrong. Filter run fine and no problems backwashing. Just can’t vacuum. Thanks for any help

So before you connected the vacuum hose to the skimmer hole or vacuum port, you pre-filled it completely with water first correct? The pump pot was also full of water before this point? Filter MPV set to FILTER and no 3-way valves closed by mistake?

Yes, the MPV is set to filter. Does the pump & filter seem to operate fine without the vacuum hose attached? If the system operates fine before vacuuming, have you inspected the vacuum hose closely for any holes or cracks? Is the O-ring under the pump basket clear lid lubed well with pool silicone?

Also confirm where and how you connect your vacuum hose.

It’s a new hose. I connect the vacuum hose to the skimmer. I turned the skimmer valve to full skimmer. Also not sure where o rings r. I have not done anything there.... r u talking about on this piece in the picture I sent? This poor picture but it’s where the water fills at the pump. And yes the pump and filter works fine and I can bbackwaah fine

Attachments

• 8484B20C-B848-46E5-82CD-F57E3889D190.jpeg
    8484B20C-B848-46E5-82CD-F57E3889D190.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 4
r u talking about on this piece in the picture I sent?
Exactly. When the pump OFF, you open that clear lid and there should be a black O-ring under the lid. It requires a nice coating of pool silicone. If that's good, then we need to pursue other things.

Silly question, but how do you prime the vacuum hose before connecting it?

Is there anything else I could do tonight
Probably not tonight as we're all losing light. Tomorrow after you ensure the lid O-ring is lubed nicely, run the system with no vacuum first. Make sure the pump basket remains full of water and that water is flowing out of the return jets nicely. Also check to ensure teh filter isn't too dirty with a high pressure gauge. If so, do a backwash and rinse if needed. After you are sure the system works fine that way, then prime the vacuum hose. I usually place the skimmer end of the hose into the skimmer area (through the weir door flap) and just leave it there. Then I put the pump on high and go to the vacuum hose connection end and place it against a return jet to let the return jet push all the air out of the hose. Once I see the bubbles stop and I know the hose is full of water, I connect that end to the vacuum head and set it in the water. Then I go to the skimmer and insert the hose into the skimmer hole. From there it's usually good-to-go.

If none of that works for you tomorrow, we may have to get you to post some pics of your pool and equipment. Have a good evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
full

Reactions: poolhelp101
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.