Can't seem to lower TA

Jun 24, 2007
Eastern NC
I've been trying to lower my TA. It is holding at 100 for some reason. PH is right at 7.5, CYA is at 60 and chlorine is at 8. The pool is a vinyl 32k inground with a sand filter. We just had the liner replaced this spring. Ever since then I can't seem to get the TA down. I've used Muriatic acid at suggested amounts according to the pool math app and no change. I even tried adding just a little more but no luck. Any suggestions? We have had a lot of rain here this summer. But I never had this problem before with wet summers. Is there a difference in Muriatic acid from brand to brand or store. I have been getting mine at Lowe's.

Don't forget to check the "concentration" level of the MA, the Lowes "pool" MA is usually 14.5% (so it takes more MA). Use TFP pool math and specify the MA concentration you have, pool math will tell you how much MA to add to lower PH. Get PH to 7.2 and that will lower the TA (not necessarily immediate lower TA but it will work). Of course if you have more water entering the pool that could be "adding" TA to counter your efforts

Dad,

For me anyway, lowering TA is a two day process.. It is not a dump in some MA and you are done kind of thing.

I measure my TA and pH and record the readings.. I turn on my waterfall for aeration and leave it on.. I add the amount of MA to drop my pH to about 7.0.. I recheck the pH and TA about two hours later.. At this point my pH has gone up to 7.4, or so, but not much of a change in TA is seen.. I add more MA to drop the pH back to 7.0.. Then I do it all over and over at 2 hour increments.. I tend to start in the morning and stop when it is time to go to bed and pick it up all over again the next day.. As time goes on, the TA will drop in larger amounts.. I take TA down to 50 ppm, and stop the process.. In a day or less the TA will be back to 60 and tends to stay there for a while before slowly increasing.. When it gets back above 110 I do the whole process all over again.

Your numbers may not be identical as mine, but I bet the basic process working about the same.

I use 31% MA...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dad,

For me anyway, lowering TA is a two day process.. It is not a dump in some MA and you are done kind of thing.

I measure my TA and pH and record the readings.. I turn on my waterfall for aeration and leave it on.. I add the amount of MA to drop my pH to about 7.0.. I recheck the pH and TA about two hours later.. At this point my pH has gone up to 7.4, or so, but not much of a change in TA is seen.. I add more MA to drop the pH back to 7.0.. Then I do it all over and over at 2 hour increments.. I tend to start in the morning and stop when it is time to go to bed and pick it up all over again the next day.. As time goes on, the TA will drop in larger amounts.. I take TA down to 50 ppm, and stop the process.. In a day or less the TA will be back to 60 and tends to stay there for a while before slowly increasing.. When it gets back above 110 I do the whole process all over again.

Your numbers may not be identical as mine, but I bet the basic process working about the same.

I use 31% MA...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Why do you want to lower it? If your PH is stable and you don't have CSI issues, TFP doesn't usually recommend chasing a number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.